English IPA Partial Mash English IPA with EKG and No Crystal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder_Chicken

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days at 60F (2 weeks is probably enough)
Tasting Notes
Very floral and spicy when young. Mellowing nicely, balanced maltiness.
Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: English IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 1.25 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.048
Efficiency: 35% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 6.5%
IBU (tinseth): 49.31
SRM (morey): 8.74

FERMENTABLES:
1 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (10.5%)
1 lb - American - Victory (10.5%)
1 lb - Torrified Wheat (10.5%)
0.5 lb - Turbinado - (late addition) (5.3%)
6 lb - Maris Otter LME - (late addition) (63.2%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.2, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 13.95
1 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.2, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 16.9
1 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.2, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 10.12
1.5 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.2, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.34

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 6 qt

YEAST:
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Starter: No

The development of this recipe is documented in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/english-ipa-partial-mash-boil-422114/

This recipe was developed based on several sources, primarily Yooper's English IPA recipe. The broad idea was to develop a simple partial mash recipe using Northern Brewer's Maris Otter LME as the base malt, and a partial mash utilizing even 1 lb increments of grains for simplicity.

The use of Crystal malts, traditionally used in English IPAs, was deliberately avoided in this recipe as I have found Crystal to be a cloyingly sweet malt even in moderation. The partial mash grains were selected to accentuate the biscuity maltiness of the MO and the turbinado addition to dry out the resulting beer.

The primary ferment was 4 weeks, for no better reason than I couldn't bottle any sooner. A 2-week primary in the low 60s would be more than adequate.

I bottled and stored it in a rather cool location (upper 50s) so it took a long while to mellow out. After 2 months in the bottle it is quite good, but earlier on the late EKG additions were very prominent. EKG is a sharply spicy, peppery hop (peppery in the black pepper sense, not jalepeno). That aspect has mellowed nicely and it is now more fruity and floral. A warmer conditioning would have accelerated the process.

The malt aspect is much as I hoped it would be - malty but really a more toasty bready biscuity aspect. I don't miss the Crystal one bit. I brewed two more batches of this replacing the turbinado with another pound of Maris Otter in the mash, can't wait to see how they turn out.

View attachment PMEnglishIPA.xml

I am now tasting a second batch, brewed on Halloween, bottled at Thanksgiving. 6 lbs Maris Otter LME, 1 lbm MO grains, 1 lbm torrified wheat, and ~ 1.5 lbm 2-row. OG was a little low at 1.052 due to too much make-up water, so more of a pale ale. Fermented in the low 60s. I kept the bottles at 75-80F for 3 weeks, then conditioned them for 2 weeks at 45-50F before tasting today.

Lightly carbonated, somewhat thin but not excessively so, very nice floral notes and light sweetness from the MO. It is very clean due to the cool ferment, leaving only the hops and malt essences. It reminds me strongly of very lightly sweetened iced tea. Very quaffable, would be fabulous on a warm summer day. Far less harsh than the first batch with the turbinado. The absence of crystal is apparent (just had a Bass for comparison), but the maltiness in this brew is less sickly sweet to my tastes and is much more enjoyable.

I have a third batch in the bottle which hit the OG, so I am hopeful that the next batch will have all of the great flavor qualities and that the correct gravity will take care of the thinness of the current batch.

English IPA 2 003.jpg

Back