Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Yeast starter question

Old 11-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
kenb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast starter question

Ok, i have never had to do a starter, but am making a 1.091 og beer tomorrow. Do i make a starter that is 1.091 og as well? Everything i read says 1.040, but i also have read that the OG should be close to the recipe wort OG..so which is correct?

Old 11-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have heard that too. I would make a huge starter as close to gravity as you can get to your wanted beer.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 11-14-2007, 01:47 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I would make a starter only to about a gravity of 40 or so. That will be enough of a gravity to build up the population of yeast that will make that 90 gravity beer fantastic. Granted the volume in a starter isn't the same as a full batch, but why stress the yeast even before they get a chance to ferment the main batch?

Old 11-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
WortMonger

Recipes 

I think you wouldn't be stressing them as much as you would be acclimating them to a higher alcohol level and attenuation. A 91 is going to take a lot to finish at the yeast's specified attenuation. The yeast will be going into the same environment they had just grown up through, otherwise I believe they would be truly stressed. This being said, the flavor may be indistinguishable between either and really may not matter. You may be more than ok with a low gravity starter, or you may be rousing your yeast later in fermentation to fully attenuate. That's my $.02.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

a high gravity makes it hard for the yeast to take in nutrients as it awakens.

I would make a starter no higher than 1.050. that'll make plenty of yeast to pitch, and the thicker wort shouldn't pose a problem at that point.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
ρMσ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

check out the following links. they do contradict one another as far as what OG should be for a starter on a high-grav. i ended up going w a reg grav starter. a good point is made on mrmalty--yeast never get used to a high grav environment. the point of a starter is to increase healthy cells not the number of unhealthy cells. high grav environments put strain on the cells. ferment out, decant, pitch
http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.htm
http://maltosefalcons.com/tech/MB_Ra..._Culturing.php

Old 11-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
WortMonger

Recipes 

Hummm, well after reading this I would go with it at 40 and make a bigger starter. Thanks for the input primo.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
ρMσ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wortmonger
Hummm, well after reading this I would go with it at 40 and make a bigger starter. Thanks for the input primo.
sweet!! i finally contributed something here that some else found beneficial. my high gravs get a 3qt .040 starter. i shake and swirl my starters, but im asking for a stir plate for xmas--im stoked. probably go to a 2qt starter w my stir plate since ill be yielding more yeast.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:26 AM   #9
kenb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I did the 1.040 starter and then broke the carboy and lost the batch just moments after pitching. But at least i know how to make a starter now and will be ready for the next batch!

Old 11-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
dilligas2u
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb
Thanks for the advice. I did the 1.040 starter and then broke the carboy and lost the batch just moments after pitching. But at least i know how to make a starter now and will be ready for the next batch!
Thats one way to look at it.. I would still be bitchin