Newbie question about "1-2-3" ale fermentation times - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Newbie question about "1-2-3" ale fermentation times

Old 11-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3673 Times on 3157 Posts

8 weeks would be too long for a pale ale or IPA imo. Hoppiness would be fading by then. If it needs that long to smooth out,then you aren't used to hoppy beers,or something else is wrong.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

People Like This 
Old 11-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
hellawaits77
Recipes 

Oct 2013
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

As someone already mentioned, beer is ready when it's ready. That's the best piece of advice. Don't rush anything! Wait till the FG has settled before you bottle/keg. If bottling, the style and strength of the beer is really going to determine how long that takes. Some beers might be ready after 10-14 days, while others may take up to 6 weeks and sometimes longer before they're ready.

lhommedieu Likes This 
Old 11-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Solway, MN
Liked 1631 Times on 1296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post
Thanks for the responses. Two weeks will be up a week from tomorrow; I'll take a FG reading and decide from there.

I don't know why I'm so hung up on the secondary fermenter (maybe because I hate to see it just sit in the closet, lol)? It's definitely satisfying to move from the primary to the secondary and leave all the trub behind - but necessary? Probably not. I'm sure the beer will be just as clear if I leave it in the primary for an extra week before putting it in the keg.

I'm not sure that I could wait 18 weeks before I carbonate. 8 weeks - maybe. Will the difference between 4 weeks and 8 weeks really make a difference for an ale?

Best,

Steve
Don't leave your secondary sit empty in the closet. It makes a fine fermenter for ciders, wines, or meads. Put it to good use so it doesn't keep calling for beer.

lhommedieu Likes This 
Old 11-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Solway, MN
Liked 1631 Times on 1296 Posts

Hydrometers tell when beer is ready to bottle, not schedules, not bubbles in the airlock, not your wishes. Use the hydrometer to take a reading about 3 to 4 days before you think you want to bottle, then again on bottling day. If the readings match, bottle it. If the gravity is still going down, wait a week and check it again.

People Like This 
Old 11-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
WileECoyote

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Mohave Valley, Az
Liked 154 Times on 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post
Thanks for the responses. Two weeks will be up a week from tomorrow; I'll take a FG reading and decide from there.

I'm not sure that I could wait 18 weeks before I carbonate. 8 weeks - maybe. Will the difference between 4 weeks and 8 weeks really make a difference for an ale?

Best,

Steve
Yes it will make a big difference, the taste of a age conditioned beer is nothing like a young beer.

And Im not talking IPAs, I don't Brew IPAs, don't like IPAs ether lol

Their are exceptions to almost everything if you look for them.

Cheers

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 11-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
WileECoyote

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Mohave Valley, Az
Liked 154 Times on 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Hydrometers tell when beer is ready to bottle, not schedules, not bubbles in the airlock, not your wishes. Use the hydrometer to take a reading about 3 to 4 days before you think you want to bottle, then again on bottling day. If the readings match, bottle it. If the gravity is still going down, wait a week and check it again.
Come on now, wishes should help a bit, right ? lol

Very good reply RM-MN

Cheers

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote