Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brutus Ten ????
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #51
billtzk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,627
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I made the gas manifold. I'm using mild steel, not SS.

$480 is a good price, assuming you are talking 40 feet of 2 x 2 inch by .120 wall square tubing. The best price I could find was $685.

How much heat can powder-coat paint take? The top will get very hot. I plan to use a high temperature paint unless I can find a better solution.

I am not an engineer so I couldn't tell you what type and size aluminum tubing would work from a structural perspective.


billtzk is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #52
slnies
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
slnies's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maple Lake MN
Posts: 867
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Al is fairly strong, stronger than steel if compared in strength to weight. So you would be in good shape if you used the same dimension stock in Al. It would be lighter and the weight from the tanks would be well with in the limits of the stand.


__________________
Nies

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone
slnies is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #53
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
korndog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: westlake village, ca
Posts: 1,123
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk
I made the gas manifold. I'm using mild steel, not SS.

$480 is a good price, assuming you are talking 40 feet of 2 x 2 inch by .120 wall square tubing. The best price I could find was $685.

How much heat can powder-coat paint take? The top will get very hot. I plan to use a high temperature paint unless I can find a better solution.

I am not an engineer so I couldn't tell you what type and size aluminum tubing would work from a structural perspective.
Thanks. Not sure on the paint temperature question yet. Will check. Speaking of the manifold, is there any reason not to tap the holes and use nipples, instead of welding the fittings in place?

Thanks to Slnies too for aluminum post.
__________________
"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."


Twitter: LarryKonis
korndog is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #54
billtzk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,627
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by korndog
Speaking of the manifold, is there any reason not to tap the holes and use nipples, instead of welding the fittings in place?
1/8th inch thick metal doesn't make for much thread to hold a threaded nipple. I think it would leak. But I really can't say for sure.

The fabricator should have no problem welding in couplings. SS or weldable mild steel 1/2 couplings. The SS ones are easy to find as all the beer stores sell them for people who want to make keggles, but weldable mild steel couplings you probably have to order from McMaster Carr. That's what I did.
billtzk is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:50 AM   #55
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
korndog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: westlake village, ca
Posts: 1,123
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk
1/8th inch thick metal doesn't make for much thread to hold a threaded nipple. I think it would leak. But I really can't say for sure.

The fabricator should have no problem welding in couplings. SS or weldable mild steel 1/2 couplings. The SS ones are easy to find as all the beer stores sell them for people who want to make keggles, but weldable mild steel couplings you probably have to order from McMaster Carr. That's what I did.
ok cool. good point. I doubt .120 will produce a good threaded gas seal now that I think about it. Doh!

I did notice Lonny hand tapping the pump holes, which made me think about it. I didn't consider 1/2" taps would be a bit different. Doh again!
__________________
"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."


Twitter: LarryKonis

korndog is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #56
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
korndog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: westlake village, ca
Posts: 1,123
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I just got the quote for the labor in aluminum or steel. $300.00 out the door with manifold. Damn, this seems cheap to me. He said his work in aluminum would be very clean and not require any grinding. This guy has made breweries for some local club members, so I think I am going to go for it. Any last minute words on material choice? If I go stainless, I'll be $800.00 into the frame; I can save a couple hundred in aluminum. What about the holes for wiring. Does anyone have this laid out as to size and exit holes? One. I just found .060 wall ss tubing for half the price of the .120 wall. Lonny, if you are on this board, do you think that would work? anybody else?

Thanks
KD

Edit: I decided to go with the .120 wall for safety. I just re-read the BYO article and see that Lonny would not use aluminum. I still would like a wiring diagram for the exit holes, and how to reduce the tubing to accommodate casters.
__________________
"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."


Twitter: LarryKonis

korndog is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #57
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: island, in an atoll
Posts: 3,515
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

I'm just in the thinking stage of building a system, missed the boat on the BYO issue. What issue or month has the Brutus 10 in it?
BrewBeemer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #58
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
korndog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: westlake village, ca
Posts: 1,123
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer
I'm just in the thinking stage of building a system, missed the boat on the BYO issue. What issue or month has the Brutus 10 in it?
November 2007, available online.
__________________
"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."


Twitter: LarryKonis
korndog is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #59
wshymas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 70
Default









finally finished with my stand here are some pics.
wshymas is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #60
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lil' Sparky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 4,013
Liked 66 Times on 43 Posts

Default

WOW - Great job!!!


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post
I dub this beer the Double Slutty Triple Nutty Bodacious Booty Brunette!
Lil' Sparky is offline
apparatus Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Brutus Rig hooks Brew Stands 19 08-17-2011 11:09 AM
My Brutus 9 1/2 Simphoto02 Brew Stands 68 10-03-2009 09:36 PM
Brutus 5?! FreebootersBrewing Brew Stands 7 08-19-2009 06:17 PM
Brutus 5? Simphoto02 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 08-09-2009 08:12 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS