Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique! - Page 165 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 100 11.86%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 21 2.49%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.47%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 631 74.85%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 87 10.32%
Voters: 843. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #1641
Mysticmead
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,342
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts


place it in a jar with a screw cap and shake it. it works just like making a soda go flat by shaking it.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #1642
dinnerstick
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
utrecht, netherlands
Posts: 2,023
Liked 267 Times on 196 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post

I fill to the weld line, use fermcap, and typically get about 2-6oz of blowoff. Cleanup is actually pretty easy with a water-trap between the keg and the spunding valve.
just reading through some older pages of this thread from a few months back, and i'm about to ferment a batch where i want to fill my corny as high as possible.
sorry if this is detailed elsewhere, you can maybe point me to it, but could you describe this water trap? or if others use something (pressurized) between keg and spunding valve? sounds like exactly what i need. thanks



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #1643
MalFet
/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
MalFet's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
NYC / Kathmandu
Posts: 8,632
Liked 1472 Times on 975 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
just reading through some older pages of this thread from a few months back, and i'm about to ferment a batch where i want to fill my corny as high as possible.
sorry if this is detailed elsewhere, you can maybe point me to it, but could you describe this water trap? or if others use something (pressurized) between keg and spunding valve? sounds like exactly what i need. thanks
Sure thing. A picture of mine is in here somewhere, but in this post our erudite leader has a picture of his. It's a better picture anyway. All you need is a standard plastic water filter housing, which you can usually find for around 20-30 bucks, plus whatever connections you want to use. Works a dream.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/clos...ml#post4480005
__________________
"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #1644
dinnerstick
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
utrecht, netherlands
Posts: 2,023
Liked 267 Times on 196 Posts


perfect ,, thanks !!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #1645
henryred
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
lima, oh
Posts: 64
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


What I use is a second cornie keg. Hose from gas to liquid. With spunding valve on second keg.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #1646
dinnerstick
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
utrecht, netherlands
Posts: 2,023
Liked 267 Times on 196 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by henryred View Post
What I use is a second cornie keg. Hose from gas to liquid. With spunding valve on second keg.
genius!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #1647
Peter_h
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Honolulu, HI
Posts: 160
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Decided to finally give this a try and so far it seems really simple and could really speed things along with getting from fermenting into the keezer.

I do have a few questions. Does anyone ferment with a single spunding valve but multiple kegs in series? I brew 10 gallon batches and have started fermenting in corneys. Since this is an experiment for me, I only have one spunding valve and used it on only one of the kegs. The other simply has a blow off tube. Can I put the kegs in series with the one valve? Do I need to remove the liquid out diptube?
__________________
My Keezer Build Thread

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #1648
V-Twin
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Livermore, California
Posts: 21
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Well. Put a 11 gallon Blonde in my brewhemoth. Set the spunding valve pressure to the initial 2 lbs (verified setting with pressurized CO2). Can't wait to see how she turns out and learn how/where to set my spunding valve pressure throughout the ferment.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #1649
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
WortMonger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Edmond, OK, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,122
Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_h
Decided to finally give this a try and so far it seems really simple and could really speed things along with getting from fermenting into the keezer.

I do have a few questions. Does anyone ferment with a single spunding valve but multiple kegs in series? I brew 10 gallon batches and have started fermenting in corneys. Since this is an experiment for me, I only have one spunding valve and used it on only one of the kegs. The other simply has a blow off tube. Can I put the kegs in series with the one valve? Do I need to remove the liquid out diptube?
All you need to do is attach both gas ports on your kegs to some sort of manifold with the spunding valve at the end for control of both kegs at the same pressure. I have also wondered about daisy-chaining the kegs together gas on first to liquid on second, and then using the spunding valve on the gas side of the second. But, I don't know how that would work out and it would definitely only work with the same beer.
__________________
"Beer... Nutritious and Delicious!"

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #1650
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
WortMonger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Edmond, OK, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,122
Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Twin
Well. Put a 11 gallon Blonde in my brewhemoth. Set the spunding valve pressure to the initial 2 lbs (verified setting with pressurized CO2). Can't wait to see how she turns out and learn how/where to set my spunding valve pressure throughout the ferment.
Good times! Let us know how she turns out. I would leave it there until 20% or so from FG and then crank it up to carbonation volumes wanted per temperature of your fermentation. But, that's just me.


__________________
"Beer... Nutritious and Delicious!"

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teri Fahrendorf's article on Closed System Pressurized Fermentation WortMonger General Techniques 6 12-15-2012 02:40 PM
Closed System Wort Cooling Works The Pol Equipment/Sanitation 32 10-15-2009 10:58 PM
Closed System Brewing Kettle....Project fifelee Brew Stands 19 10-10-2008 03:08 PM
Carboy to Keg - Closed system Orfy Bottling/Kegging 3 09-02-2007 04:50 PM
Closed system racking Brewing Clamper Bottling/Kegging 5 08-17-2007 09:02 PM


Forum Jump