Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Who racks? Who doesn't?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Ale's What Cures You!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 6365 Times on 4533 Posts
Likes Given: 1720

Originally Posted by siletzspey View Post
Based on the responses so far, can I conclude that sitting on some lees for an extended period is ok, and potentially even beneficial?

No, but some yeast strains are better than others. Certain yeast strains get pretty foul from aging on the lees, but others are far more neutral.

There is no benefit from aging on the lees, though. Even sur lie aging in wine means stirring the lees to avoid unpleasant off flavors.

Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Liked 998 Times on 593 Posts
Likes Given: 1317

Originally Posted by rocketsan View Post
Yooper is legend around here and I know he does...

Curious to know who does and doesn't rack off primary...
I am brand new at this and haven't bottled a full batch yet. I racked two batches of crabapple cider after primary and then racked again after about a week. I'm letting them sit in carboys for awhile...haven't decided how long yet. I have a third batch in primary. I did a test bottle of each of the first two when I was racking them. I do have a question though...I'm using Munton's CarTabs to prime for cyser and I'm getting some white floaters suspended in the bottles. After several days, they don't seem to be settling. Any suggestions or experiences like this?
There are no small parts, only small actors.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
a New York brewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should always get it off the bulk of the lees early after primary as this can cause unwanted flavors and offers no benefit. Small amounts of sediment settling out over time aren't as big of a concern.

With multiple rackings you need to be more concerned with oxidizing. If your not racking with C02 your more likely to cause problems than prevent them.