Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Duvel (AG)

Old 08-31-2008, 05:48 AM   #31
TUCK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerBrew View Post
Ha, ok Master Brewer.

A quick question, you said:

I am confused by "added dry" and then your description of how you added them. Maybe "added dry" is just an expression or term I am not familiar with, but you didn't dry out the pear puree before adding to the secondary did you? I would assume you just added what probably looked like a pear slushee straight into the secondary.
Am I spot on or way off?

I am looking forward to brewing this. I give Duvel credit for introducing me to real beer, and would love to brew a Doovel in honor of that.
I like your attitude and style already...Probably a kinda guy I would hang around... anywho

Yea the "added dry" I believe was in the option within the program so it is irrelevant, and yes I added the the pears by peeling then de-cored <sp?> them and pureed.

It was a slush like substance and a pain in the azz to funnel into the carboy.

Like I said in previous post (I think) I would discourage adding all 11.5 lb. unless you plan on aging or you like a little sweetness to your brew maybe half (5lb.) if you want to drink it within a month or two (just my personal belief).

However I did find that the sweetness began to drop off (mellow out) extremely quick after 3 months and declining thereafter.

I still have one (22 oz) bottle left that I plan on opening in Nov. (it will be 1 year old) I will definitely post taste profile as soon as I indulge.

Hope it turns out great for you

Old 09-04-2008, 05:20 AM   #32
effectrammstein
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCK View Post
It's more like Da-Vel...To Each His Own...

However, Duvel, translated into English as devil, having been first mashed and malted nearly a century ago in Breendonk, Belgium, is one of the most uniquely satisfying brews I've ever drained.

I named mine Doovel b/c it is my version and not hte exact clone.

Look it up, I f I really cared I would post the book page (scanned) and show but I would rather use that time to drink my Bad-Azz Da-Vel beer....

Also if you like to Argue the name then start a new thread this is a recipe thread...Newbie

Either Way it is not worth bickering about and it is Damn Good Beer Hands Down!!!
ENJOY YOURSELF
who's arguing mate? have a re-read of my post and you will find there is no intent of an argument...

the only reason is cause I don't know anyone that would call it doo-vel like the snob americans say...only the proper way...call your beer whatever you like - I like the recipe and will make it

just don't get your panties in a twist man - you must get easily offended haha

Old 09-05-2008, 03:59 AM   #33
TUCK

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectrammstein View Post
who's arguing mate? have a re-read of my post and you will find there is no intent of an argument...

the only reason is cause I don't know anyone that would call it doo-vel like the snob americans say...only the proper way...call your beer whatever you like - I like the recipe and will make it

just don't get your panties in a twist man - you must get easily offended haha
I was trying to be a smartazzz guess it didn't come across that way. Me ....offended. Not even close. Maybe if you spit my beer in my face and took a dump on my coffee table sure.

No harm no fowl

RDWHAHB

BTW have a re-read of the post it was not intended to be directed to you...haha

Last edited by TUCK; 09-05-2008 at 04:03 AM.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:47 AM   #34
effectrammstein
Recipes 

oh yeah - for real

What is the optimum time to drink this beer? I mean - I like good beer but I don't like to wait a year for it...

Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 AM   #35
TUCK

Recipes 

I had my first one 3 months after brewing and it was tasty.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #36
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Tuck, FWIW, I spent 6 months in Flanders and the flemish pronounced it doovel... The recipe looks really interesting - especially because of the reviews!

Old 04-13-2009, 02:56 AM   #37
effectrammstein
Recipes 

I'm thinking of doing a double batch of this - no chill!

Then doing one batch without pears and the other with pears - and I'll see how it goes. I'm hoping that one with the fruit is great, just a quick question, did you find that the fruit added a haze to the beer? Or did the extended conditioning time drop it out?

Cheers
Phil

Old 08-25-2009, 01:19 AM   #38
TUCK

Recipes 

By the Way I did try the one that I aged for a year and I think it is best enjoyed aged for 6 months tops....the pear was very faint and some blandness was detected

Old 01-29-2010, 04:55 AM   #39
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im thinking of brewing this recipe. Has everyone been cultivating the Duvel yeast or are you using a commercially available yeast?

Old 07-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #40
jturb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know if anyone can help me. I was thinking about brewing this beer. I did not see any mash time/temp. instructions, I may have missed them though.