So, I have a question on timing my first brew. I am planning on getting all the equipment and stuff this Sat (11/10) and want to brew on Sun (11/11). I will probably just brew the starter pale ale kit first, just to give you an idea on what the beer type will be. My dilemna is this: I am leaving for vacation on 11/21 - 11/26, and I was wondering if I should wait until I get back to start brewing, or if I can start my primary on 11/11, and hope that it will be done and can go into the secondary by 11/20 at the latest. The problem is that I live in San Francisco, and temps here have been around 60-65, and my house isn't much warmer. This to me means a slow fermentation, so I am just not sure. I don't mind leaving it in the primary for a little longer, but I am not sure what this will do to the beer. If I leave it, it will be in the primary for 15 days.
I just dont want to leave the primary and the airlock get clogged and cause a huge mess. I brewed a fruit beer awhile back and did not use a blow-off tube and I almost exploded my primary! Anyways, thanks for the input!