Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Bru'n Water question

Old 11-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #21
Brewsncrabs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow what a great thread. I hope others read it and learn as much as I have. The Conan yeast started chewing in about 4 hours and everything looked nice this morning. I agree with Yooper's salt analogy and will take that road in my next brew. Thanks for everyone's contribution! Now if Santa remembers that ph meter, I'll be golden!

Old 12-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #22
Brewsncrabs
Recipes 

Well this brew turned out very well! Shared it with the club last week at our Xmas party and it was well received. Didn't attenuate all the way but that seems to be a problem with Conan yeast. The aromas from this yeast are awesome and I do get peach flavors in the end. Thanks for all your help on this one. I understand water additions a little better now.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #23
Punity
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 303 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Subscribed so I don't lose this. This thread has made the most sense to me about water additions thanks!

Old 12-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #24
mchrispen
accidentalis.com
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Brewsncrabs,

So glad this turned out for you, and HOPE that Santa brought that pH meter for Christmas. The APA I mentioned managed to carb perfectly for Christmas, and I have to say it is one of the best pales I have ever brewed. The bitterness has just a bit of a bite and the hoppy (cascades) aroma and flavor from the late additions and dry hopping is right there in good balance with the malt. I believe I have nailed down my house APA recipe (finally!). Now I can play around with different hop additions, or twist the base malts up.

I think that everyone's points still holds - that sulfate levels in particular are a matter of preference, and that there is no one size fits all approach. I would still encourage you to explore different levels of sulfates and chloride, as well as to dive in a bit deeper in managing your mash and boil pH. I have also been experimenting adding gypsum solutions to finished beers of different kinds (as both AJ and Martin suggest). The effect can be quite striking, and can also ruin a well balanced beer.

Best of luck and Happy New Year!

Old 12-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #25
Brewsncrabs
Recipes 

Mcrispen,

I didn't get the ph meter for Xmas but I got enough cash to get it AND a Blichmann burner as well. Just have to figure out which meter.