Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > What's your favorte brett strain?

Old 11-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
nicklepickles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default What's your favorte brett strain?

So about 6 months back i started my first 2 brett beers using wlp 670, a blonde and a stout, and am planning on bottling soon. So now im planning my next brett beer, most likely going to be a lambic with 100% brett. Whats your favorite strain for a lambic?

Old 11-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
nicklepickles
Recipes 

I was planning on using the brett lambicus strain from white labs, but was wondering if you all had a specific favorite for a lambic.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
fivepoundpossum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

for it to be a lambic, you're going to need to use a combination of bacteria and yeast. wyeast makes a lambic blend that contains all you need. some dregs of your favorite gueuzes wouldn't hurt either (tilquin is a personal favorite that's widely available).

Old 11-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepoundpossum
for it to be a lambic, you're going to need to use a combination of bacteria and yeast. wyeast makes a lambic blend that contains all you need. some dregs of your favorite gueuzes wouldn't hurt either (tilquin is a personal favorite that's widely available).
I could, but not so much a bacteria fan, id rather just make a funky-as-all-hell lambic with pure brett. Personal preference really. Also my lhbs only has white labs, and im too much of a cheapskate to buy yeast online

Old 11-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 813 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 322

a pure brett beer won't be funky. it will be very clean. and, as previously mentioned, it won't be a lambic.

if you want funk, you need to use sacch in primary and then add brett in secondary (here's why). you'll want to go with brett lambicus for the most funk.

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with my homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34, imperial chocolate stout
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...

Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Alright, interesing ill try sacc first then brett. Im guessing a clean fermenter first so the esters dont interfere with the, is this correct?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
nicklepickles
Recipes 

actually, after skimming that thread, it looks like i want a phenolics first fomr a belgian strain, then let the brett go to town on those. is this right?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklepickles View Post
Alright, interesing ill try sacc first then brett. Im guessing a clean fermenter first so the esters dont interfere with the, is this correct?
you can go clean, some people prefer that.

personally, i like to go with high esters - i feel they play well with the funk, and i believe that brett actually transforms them too, to a limited extent. have you ever had a brett'ed saison? saison yeast produce a lot of esters, and brett'ed saisons are amazing. an old Orval is another example of esters & funk playing well together.

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with my homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34, imperial chocolate stout
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...

Old 11-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
you can go clean, some people prefer that.

personally, i like to go with high esters - i feel they play well with the funk, and i believe that brett actually transforms them too, to a limited extent. have you ever had a brett'ed saison? saison yeast produce a lot of esters, and brett'ed saisons are amazing. an old Orval is another example of esters & funk playing well together.
I'm not looking for those belgian-y esters, they are not my favorite, so i may go with a clean american. Or maybe an english yeast. do you think the english ale flavors and brett would go well together?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

dunno, i've never done english yeast + brett. brett is a characteristic of certain classic british beers so i imagine they go together just fine. go for it!