Hydrometer ques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
What's a good starting reading when I'm about to brew a batch of cider? I'm looking for an end result of 6-7% alcohol.

Depends entirely on your exact ingredients and what yeast you're using. Some yeasts attenuate more than others (e.g. a cider yeast would get you to 1.000 more readily than, say Nottingham, which will finish closer to 1.005).

Assuming cider yeast and all 100% fermentables (all juice/cider/sugar), you want an OG of between 1.045 to 1.052 - when those OG's drop to 1.000, they are respectively ~6% and ~7%. If you're using a yeast that isn't expected to attenuate that far like Danstar Nottingham, shoot for closer to 1.06.

Thanks a lot Veronis! That was very helpful. I much appreciate the info and advice.

Depends entirely on your exact ingredients and what yeast you're using. Some yeasts attenuate more than others (e.g. a cider yeast would get you to 1.000 more readily than, say Nottingham, which will finish closer to 1.005).

Assuming cider yeast and all 100% fermentables (all juice/cider/sugar), you want an OG of between 1.045 to 1.052 - when those OG's drop to 1.000, they are respectively ~6% and ~7%. If you're using a yeast that isn't expected to attenuate that far like Danstar Nottingham, shoot for closer to 1.06.

Nottingham will still go bone dry unless you have some complex sugars in the mix. Apple juice is composed completely of simple sugars, and any yeast will devour them all.

Back