Spike Brewing Giveaway - New v3 Kettle

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Vegetal taste in fresh hop beer?

Old 11-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
shapptastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Vegetal taste in fresh hop beer?

I recently made and drank a home grown fresh hopped amber beer that I made exclusively with Cascades. While the beer was drinkable, I noticed a weird off-taste that I can only attribute to the hops. My additions were as follows

60 min 5 oz fresh cascades
30 min 5 oz fresh cascades
10 min 3 oz fresh cascades

Dry hopped 6 days 2 oz dried cascades

The citrus comes out in the smell and taste, but it had a slight vegetal (think Brussels sprouts) taste at the end. It faded a bit after a few weeks, but never went away completely. Any ideas for how to avoid this?

Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6989 Times on 4957 Posts
Likes Given: 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapptastic View Post
I recently made and drank a home grown fresh hopped amber beer that I made exclusively with Cascades. While the beer was drinkable, I noticed a weird off-taste that I can only attribute to the hops. My additions were as follows

60 min 5 oz fresh cascades
30 min 5 oz fresh cascades
10 min 3 oz fresh cascades

Dry hopped 6 days 2 oz dried cascades

The citrus comes out in the smell and taste, but it had a slight vegetal (think Brussels sprouts) taste at the end. It faded a bit after a few weeks, but never went away completely. Any ideas for how to avoid this?
That's one of the reasons I don't love wet hopped beer. It's a bit vegetal for my taste. I love dryhopped beer, though, and use my homegrown hops for that all the time.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans