Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Strongbow clone?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #11
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman !
Why would we start with trying dextrose when the Strongbow label tells us it has "Glucose Syrup" in it ?

And I know all about Apfelwien. I have a carboy full of it right next to me.

Strongbow is different than Apfelwien and the traditional ciders.

"So now we'll just have to find the magic blend of Apple Juice, Corn Syrup and sugar that makes a good strongbow clone.."

I suspect that water and sugar are added to the fermented product from apple juice and corn sugar.

It shouldn't take too much experimenting to arrive at something that tastes similar.
I think the yeast type will make the most difference. It won't be apfelwein.

I realize dextrose is not glucose. I don't think its as common as dextrose at the LHBS. Its just cheap sugar that fements out to alcohol. No flavor is added unless they force carb which I highly doubt.

I listed this since I had the recipe and the original poster wanted an English Cider.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 AM   #12
Crossczek
Recipes 

I just kegged my cider and my wife said it tastes just like Strongbow. I can taste some similarities, but it doesn't taste just like it. I think she's trying to butter me up for something.

Anyway, here's what I did:
I used fresh pressed juice from the orchard. Than I added 1/4 cup honey per gallon and added Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast and waited for a good fermentation to start. Then I transferred it to the back stairwell where the temperature ranges from 40-50 degrees (depending on a lower Michigan December) to slow down the fermentation (some say a slower fermentation leaves more apple flavor). After a couple of months I racked it directly into my kegs and added apple concentrate (enough to normally make a gallon of juice directly into the corney) and sorbate. Carbonate and consume.

Your milage may vary of course due to the types of apples your juice was made from and what temperatures it ferments at. I have no idea what type of an apple blend my local orchard uses, but I've never been dissipointed.

I have to admit though, it's probably the closest I'll ever get to making a Strongbow clone.

Good luck, and cheers!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:23 AM   #13
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I fooled around with Apfelwein and concentrate. I can't get it close to Strongbow. It gets too sweet.

I think the glucose syrup adds a bunch of unfermentables that give it the characteristic taste. I hope so anyway. I'll brew some up this week.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #14
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Strongbow Clone?

I dont really know a lot about making Ciders but I have been wanting to make a Strongbows clone but have been unable to make anything like it . Does anyone know a good recipe I can use to make something similar?

Old 02-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
beala
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Seven posts below this, there's another thread with the exact same name.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=44058

Old 02-20-2008, 11:28 PM   #16
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirilis
I dont really know a lot about making Ciders but I have been wanting to make a Strongbows clone but have been unable to make anything like it . Does anyone know a good recipe I can use to make something similar?
Merged,

You'll find more help if you take some time to read a little and maybe search.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:40 AM   #17
gpogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oddly I've found mixing a bit of Ed's Apfelwein recipe with some apple juice it tastes similar to Strongbow.

Though as previously recommended I say mess with the yeast. I recently started almost the exact recipe listed using nottingham ale yeast to see how much yeast can play a part of the taste of the finished product.
Secondary 3 - Malkore's Not So Ancient Orange Mead(2.5 gal)
Secondary 4 -
Gallon Fermentor - Joe's Ancient Orange, Joe's Quick Grape Mead, Pomegranate Mead
Bottled/aging - Sunshine Wheat Clone, Fat Tire Clone, Hard Cider, Scotch Ale, Orange Blossom Sweet Mead
Coming soon... - Weizenbock, Belgian Wit, Apfelwein

Old 02-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
beala
Recipes 

In my personal experience with apfelwein and a few different yeasts (montrachet, hefe, and cote des blanc) the yeast doesn't make much of a difference. Since the sugars in apple juice are 100% fermentable, the end product always has an FG of 1.000 or less. There might be very slight difference in the flavor profiles, but overall they taste very similar. I think back sweetening with apple juice concentrate and corn syrup, then kegging, is your best bet.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #19
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I second the opinion that the yeast isn't going to matter as much, unless they've got a yeast that isn't very attentive and leaves some of the apple juice/corn syrup un fermented.

Notice that they ferment and then add water. What are the chances that they are fermenting to 10% alcohol, leaving some of the sugars un fermented and then watering that down ?

How fermentable is corn syrup ? What other syrups would they have in England (where Strongbow is brewed) that they wouldn't have in, say, the US ?

Old 02-22-2008, 02:45 AM   #20
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
For a start I'd try just using;
  • 5 - galllons of apple juice
  • (.05 ~1lb) of dextrose
  • 1 - Nottinghams yeast
  • 2 - tsp of yeast nutrients.
This is a standard English cider recipe from "Brewing for Dummies".

BTW - Ed's AW w/ 2lbs of dextrose and carbed w/ 5oz of dextrose is dry.
Is that 5 gallons of pastuerized apple juice that you buy at the grocery store?

Prim 1: Ogre's House Red Ale
Prim 2: Apfelwein