Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Can you cut $1,000 from your monthly spending?

Old 11-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Rhumbline
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 183

Default Can you cut $1,000 from your monthly spending?

I saw a news article with the above headline.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/could-...145150037.html

I don't normally say this, but...

This is a first world problem.

Does the writer have any knowledge about how much of the country's, and indeed, the world's population lives on less than $1,000 a month? And for him it's just "fluff"!

Don't make this political, there's enough mud to cover all parties involved. But how can an educated person thump his chest about the sacrifices he's made when they include "Firing the maid" cutting down to tv 200 channels a month, and refinancing the house?

For the record, I consider myself extremely blessed. After paying the mortgage and funding my retirement savings I LIVE on $1,000 per month.

So, not to pry but, could you cut your expenses by $1,000 per month?

yeahfairly Likes This 
Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
yeahfairly
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Yes I could.... if I sold my house or got rid of our two vehicles. To be honest, I have been mulling over the thought of buying some rural mountain property and building my own 1000 sqft cabin on it and going off grid. I am getting sick of the establishment and,,,, to be honest.... Stupid People who think Jersey Shore and the Kardashian's are relevant and deserve to be on my TV.

People Like This 
Old 11-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Rhumbline
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahfairly View Post
Yes I could.... if I sold my house or got rid of our two vehicles. To be honest, I have been mulling over the thought of buying some rural mountain property and building my own 1000 sqft cabin on it and going off grid. I am getting sick of the establishment and,,,, to be honest.... Stupid People who think Jersey Shore and the Kardashian's are relevant and deserve to be on my TV.
If there was a "Love this post" button I'd be mashing it!
yeahfairly Likes This 
Old 11-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
thisisbeer
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I could. If I cut back no the non necessities like cable, brewing stuff, eating out and other crap like that. Hell I could probably cut it closer to two thousand a month. Wow, I need to rethink my budget. I spend way to much.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
TallDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahfairly View Post
So, uh, why ARE the Kardashians on your TV? They aren't on mine, and I am FAR from off-grid...
jhoneycutt Likes This 
Old 11-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
TallDan
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumbline View Post
I saw a news article with the above headline.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/could-...145150037.html

I don't normally say this, but...

This is a first world problem.

Does the writer have any knowledge about how much of the country's, and indeed, the world's population lives on less than $1,000 a month? And for him it's just "fluff"!

Don't make this political, there's enough mud to cover all parties involved. But how can an educated person thump his chest about the sacrifices he's made when they include "Firing the maid" cutting down to tv 200 channels a month, and refinancing the house?

For the record, I consider myself extremely blessed. After paying the mortgage and funding my retirement savings I LIVE on $1,000 per month.

So, not to pry but, could you cut your expenses by $1,000 per month?
FWIW, $60/mo for a "maid" isn't full time, that's coming in once a month to clean. I had that type of service for several years, and may start it up again.

The stupid thing about this article (and presumably the book too) is that of course you can cut your monthly spending by $1000; lose your job and it will happen pretty quickly, I assure you. Rice and beans are cheap, and you would eat a lot of them if you really needed to. Effectively ALL of our money is spent on "luxuries" from a survival standpoint.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
littletommy
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I could, but then I wouldn't be able to drink, smoke, chew tobacco, buy guns, buy ammo, buy stuff to outfit my bar, you know, the important things.
smonteton Likes This 
Old 11-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I'm in my 30's and voluntarily switched jobs to one that pays $3k(take home) less. Still in the process so we'll see, but I think the hardest part is dealing with a wife who thinks the family is already making sacrifices.

Didn't read the article cause I see it's a Yahoo! article though..

Old 11-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6017 Times on 4288 Posts
Likes Given: 1548

No, for me there is no way I could trim $1000 a month off of my expenses.

I don't have a cell phone, dish TV/network, a car payment, a house payment, or any payments actually, besides electric, water, gas, internet. I keep the house cool, and wear a sweater. We have two homes, and pay insurance and taxes on both, and two vehicles. Those are probably our biggest expenses- to maintain two houses and utilities for them and two vehicles. We do spend the winters in South Texas, but we rent a house there and don't have expenses there except rent and groceries.

We shop at thrift stores when we need "new" clothes. I don't buy much from a grocery store as we hunt/fish/gather, and I don't eat packaged food or refined grains. Our meat, aside from venison, comes from a neighbor who raises grass-fed beef and lamb.

We live well (even have a boat), travel a bit, but we live on about $2000/month total and that includes my brewing expenses and all of our hobbies. I guess we could give up traveling to Texas each winter, and maybe save an average of $400/month over the course of the year, but I'm not willing to do that!

I think that we are more frugal than most Americans, though!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
People Like This 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1321 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 620

I spend about half of my time living in a mountain village in South Asia. My rent is $35. Cutting a thousand dollars would require me to spend about negative $700 a month.

The rest of the year I live in New York City. There, I could save a thousand dollars a month just by moving pretty much anywhere else.