Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 961 Beer Lebanese Pale Ale

Old 10-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
bhagen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 961 Beer Lebanese Pale Ale

Anyone had this or tried to brew it? This is a very good beer newly available in the northeast US. This particular beer is flavored with hops *and* thyme, sumac, camomile, sage, anise, and mint. The spices do not dominate, they meld with each other favorably to deliver a floral, herbal aroma that hops cannot bring. It has no funk or sour of a typical Belgian or Brett. It works very well, and I would like to try; but I am wondering about when to use the herbs, use fresh or dry, dry "hop" them, make a separate tea added back to the brew later. Anyone?

Old 10-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
jeffjm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The founder of 961 was on the brewing network a while ago. I remember the interview being fascinating, but I think that was as much because of the difficulties of starting a brewery in Lebanon, and because of his personality, as because of any particular brewing information. I remember him talking about the herbs, but don't recall the details. You might want to give this a listen:

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/842

As always with the BN, be prepared for more than a bit of off-color humor.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 969

Let me know what you come up with as this beer was so good...really a fantastic beer and well done. Not many like it either

I would probably add the spices at flameout the first go at it...if its too weak, add a tea as well next time