Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tips for hurrying a beer through the process?

Old 10-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Fishin-Jay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Tips for hurrying a beer through the process?

I know, the first tip would be "don't rush your beer through the process." Believe me, I'd rather not. Skip to the last sentence for my question, or read on if the back story interests you

I thought I had my pipeline pretty well managed, but I blew a keg last night that was supposed to last through Thanksgiving. I had a few friends over to help me cut down and buck up a HUGE old apple tree, and as thanks I grilled some steaks and gave them all the beer they could drink after we put the saws away. You know the rest of that story...

So now because of work I can't brew again until November 7, and I need a beer kegged and carbed by Thanksgiving Day. I know I'm cutting it close. For simplicity I'm going to make the Northern Brewer Brickwarmer, all grain.

I've been brewing all grain for a couple years, but this is the first one I'm trying to take from grain to glass in 21 days. I figure if fermentation is complete in 10 days, I can cold crash for 48 hours, then keg and have it cold conditioning and carbing for 9 days before the first pour. We'll see how it goes from there. I've got a case of Sierra Nevada Flipside in the basement just in case.

I'm not looking to be talked out of it. I'm going to do it. What I'm wondering is if anybody has any tips based on having made a drinkable beer in short order. Or, would you like to share your quickest successful grain to glass?

Old 10-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
jmichaeldesign
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Keg the beer after 10 days in primary. Set the regulator to serving pressure and leave it for a week.

This is what I do for almost all my beers.

First pint or two will be cloudy.

People Like This 
Old 10-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
davefleck
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Over pitch yeast

Go with a wheat ale

Old 10-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 226

If you follow good fermentation practices there should be no problem with what you want to do.

The beer should be done fermenting in 7-10 days and you can crash in the keg to clear and carbonate in time for the big bird!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I've done in in probably a touch over 21 days. Ferment for the 7 - 10 days, and force carb HARD. Like 30 psi for a few days, shaking it. Testing often.

One of the big advantages to kegging, IMO

Old 10-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Tarks
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If I were you I would brew up a lower gravity beer. Much quicker turn around generally speaking. BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde is one that I have brewed up many times and you can easily be drinking it in 3 weeks.

Bottled: Chimay Reserve Clone, Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Strong Ale

Fermentation: House Pale Ale, Black Betty Porter, House Cream Ale, House Amber Ale

Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 268

proper fermentation temp control (especially in the beginning), and a nice fresh, healthy pitch of yeast....prevent off-flavors from forming in the beginning so you don't have to wait around for them to disappear at the end.

Its rare that I don't have a beer ready to keg in 14 days, tops. I have kegged as soon as 10 days.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 2853

I've done 21 days before... Fermenter for a couple weeks, carbing/conditioning for a week. Not great beer, but still good.

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
PGEduardo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 42

It seems like properly oxygenating the wort really helps kick fermentation off quickly. Pick a style of beer that is fine fermenting warm to speed things up (Heffe, Nut Brown, etc.)

Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Fishin-Jay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Good advice folks, thanks! It seems like I'm thinking along the same line as most so far.

I am a bit concerned that the 1.062 OG is a bit high for a quick turn around, but I've already got a light lager on tap and didn't want to make another beer that was too similar.