Saison Shipwrecked Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Channel66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
wy3726
Yeast Starter
1l
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.1 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 90
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Delicious
Shipwreck Saison

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.0 gal
Brewer : Channel66
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency 81.7 %
Taste Rating: 50 out of 50 at Montana Mashup
Taste Notes: a nice dry saison, good amount of farmhouse character, spicy, slight citrus.

This recipe won a gold medal best of show when brewed by LoloMT7 at the Montana Mashup Homebrew Competition. It scored a 50-50 perfect score.

Ingredients:

Grains:

8 lbs 10 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) 65.5 %
2 lbs 14 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) 21.8 %
7.7 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 3.6 %
3.8 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) 1.8 %

Hops:

1.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 27.8 IBUs
1.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 7.3 IBUs

Yeasties:

1.0 pkg WY 3726 (or Dupont strain)

Other:

1 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) 7.3 % Add at flameout.
.5 oz Fresh crushed coriander seed. Boil 5 min.

OG 1.065
FG 1.008
IBUs 35.1
Color 4.1SRM

Mash Profile

Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 3.4 oz
Mash Temperature: 150 F
Mash Time 1 Hour
Sparge Temperature: 168.1 F

Fermentation:

Pitch the starter at 70f. Wait for fermentation to begin then start ramping the temperature upwards to 90f. Hold here for the remainder of fermentation.

If bulk aging bring the temp back down to ambient slowly. Allow to age in a dark room.

Notes:

This recipe is something I've been working on for awhile now, tweaking a little here a little there. I feel as though I have it pretty well to the point that I can call it finished. It has been very very well received by all those who have either brewed it or tried it. It is a gold medal winning recipe by LoloMT7 and a silver medal by myself. His scoring a perfect 50-50 at the Montana Mashup Homebrew Competition. Mine scoring a 46-50 at the Maine Homebrewers Competition placing behind my barrel aged version of a similar recipe.

Enjoy!

shipwreckedsaison-1.jpg

Mine is on the left, LoloMT7s on the right.

Looks good but do you have any other tasting notes besides "Delicious"? Also, is it .75 or .5 oz of coriander at 5min? You have .75 listed under grains and .5 listed under other.

Looks good but do you have any other tasting notes besides "Delicious"? Also, is it .75 or .5 oz of coriander at 5min? You have .75 listed under grains and .5 listed under other.

.5 sorry, this is the first recipe I've uploaded here i copied half from beersmith. Then realized it was easier to use my print out with changes and just type it out, I'll fix that up.

And yes the other tasting notes are listed in the other section I had to put something in the prompt to get it to post but there isn't enough room in the prompt to say what I wanted to say so I just posted it after in my own section.

My only notes: I used Motueka for the late hop addition, I did not do any coriander and the candi sugar I added was homemade. It is a great recipe. If you love saisons brew this and you won't be sorry! :mug:

IMG_20130930_180523_598.jpg

I brewed up a similar recipe to this again over the weekend a 10 gallon batch this time. I used Amarillo, and Moteuka hops though and I went with a lower OG and skipped the sugar addition going for a bit lower ABV beer this time. Smells great in my bathroom right now! Oh and I had a glass from my award winning batch last night as well :rockin:

IMG_20131111_183349_393.jpg

IMG_20131113_182200_882.jpg

IMG_20131113_181614_750.jpg

planning on doing a 3 gallon batch of this on saturday. this is the first all grain brew i've tried to attempt, and am just wondering whether a 5 gallon brew kettle would have enough capacity for this.

planning on doing a 3 gallon batch of this on saturday. this is the first all grain brew i've tried to attempt, and am just wondering whether a 5 gallon brew kettle would have enough capacity for this.

You should have plenty of room if you watch the heat and/or spray back the foam with water. I do 7 gallon boils in an 8 gallon pot using FermcapS in addition to heat/spray control. I end up with 5.5 gallons of finished wort in the carboy. 5 gallons of finished beer.

thanks, i ended up trying for a 5-gal batch using two kettles. had about 6.5gal wort after lautering, but completely forgot the candi sugar and also had to substitute dupoint with T-58 and the acid malt with biscuit malt cause my LHBS didn't have em'.

also, i assume an OG of 1.041 is substantially low for this right? :( oh well, i think the mash went really well considering my loss of sobriety over 6 hours into drunken stumbling. a quick question about the sparge water, is the 168 degrees how hot the sparge water itself should be, or is it the temp you need to bring the entire mash up to?

Hello,

Finished by midnight producing this batch :) The only thing that worries me was the OG result: 1056...close but not close enough.

Its fermenting at 20ºC :)

Thanks again for the recipe. Loved the crushed coriander smell :)

Sounds perfect for what I'm looking for - going to serve it on draught for my kegerator debut party!

Second on the sparge question: is 168 target sparge mash temp, or sparge strike water temp?

Thanks for the recipe!

Sounds perfect for what I'm looking for - going to serve it on draught for my kegerator debut party!

Second on the sparge question: is 168 target sparge mash temp, or sparge strike water temp?

Thanks for the recipe!

168 target sparge temp. So I usually go a bit higher like 170-175 with my sparge water. Everyone has a bit different way of doing this it seems though. Let us know how it goes :mug:

Thanks! Will post once I get this brewed in the next couple of weeks... ingredients ordered and on their way.

:mug:

Thanks! Will post once I get this brewed in the next couple of weeks... ingredients ordered and on their way.

:mug:

Planning to brew a batch of Shipwrecked this coming weekend. I'll be using my own homemade candi, and it's amber instead of clear. Is that going to significantly change the beer?

Troy I made my own Candi sugar as well and it was a touch darker then "Clear" candi sugar but not all the way amber either. I bet it will turn out great in fact I planned to use darker the next time I make it.

Congratz; looks like a fun weekend.

What happens to the beer; will it be sold? And if so, who gets the profit? You, the brewery, or some sort of split?

The saison will be sold at the brewery in Bozeman pints only no growler fills. $4.00 a pint. The brewery is still really new as they only opened up in March of this year so they will keep all profits. In the future I could see them doing splits though and helping out non-profits in the Bozeman area.. they were great people! :mug:

This one looks awesome - going to try it. What do folks use to control the temperature during fermentation? I'm still fermenting in a bucket.

mrsharky said:
This one looks awesome - going to try it. What do folks use to control the temperature during fermentation? I'm still fermenting in a bucket.

When I'm fermenting at temps above ambient, I put the fermenter in a slightly larger bucket filled with water and drop an aquarium heater with thermostat into the bigger bucket's water. This has worked well for me. Good luck!

I finally brewed some of this the other day. Had a stuck sparge and had to fight it a little; I wound up with an OG of 1.060 instead of 1.065. Not perfect, but I think it's reasonably close for my second try at AG. But I need less flour in the next batch of grain I grind; I think the problem may have been exacerbated by using a drill motor that didn't have variable speeds. I'll either switch drills next time, or go back to hand grinding.

I used my own homemade Belgian candi sugar, and saved enough to pay for some of the commercial beer I'll be drinking until my earlier foray into AG finishes bottle conditioning...

I also left out the coriander.

This saison is on tap at Bridger brewing in Bozeman now swing by and try it for only $4.00 a pint. $9.00 for a growler fill :-D

The head brewer sent me this pic today and said that the saison has been their number 1 seller the last 3 days since it was released.

ForumRunner_20131223_170242.jpg

This saison is on tap at Bridger brewing in Bozeman now swing by and try it for only $4.00 a pint. $12.00 for a growler fill :-D

The head brewer sent me this pic today and said that the saison has been their number 1 seller the last 3 days since it was released.

Really cool man. Good for you. How did it taste on that scale compared to your Homebrew?

Really cool man. Good for you. How did it taste on that scale compared to your Homebrew?

I didn't end up driving over for the release party it snowed heavy and the roads weren't good. I'll let you know as soon as I get to try it though.

Brewed this bad boy on Saturday, have the heat tape on the fermenter now to bump it up to 90. Can't wait to get it into a glass.

Cheers,

Sheldon

Question on the yeast: I can find 3724 and 3711, but for some reason even google doesn't give me options to buy 3726, where could I find this yeast and how would it compare to 3711?

Back