Home brew gluten free beer with dates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asaf_R

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

a few months back i thought of start brewing my own
gluten free vegan beer
but the problem is that i couldn't find any gluten free extract over here
malting is also problematic for me right now,
i spoke with some home brewer a few days ago and he said that instead of malting there is a way doing a gluten free beer with just dates syrup and hops and some more ingredients but he didn't know the all process
does anybody heard about it?
someone maybe knows a recipe for this?

i found this link that mention something really close to what i want to make
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/kosher/passover_beer.php3

any help will be great.
Thanks in advance,
Asaf.

What about brown rice syrup? I use Lundberg's Brown Rice Syrup which is usually found in health food aisles. I also have used corn syrup (baking aisle) and molasses as a fermentable. Most Sorghum extracts aren't actually from sorghum malt, I think they are basically sorghum syrup (but I could be wrong). Maple syrup and honey can be used as well. Do you have any of that?

Asaf,

Where do you live? That might help us think of some ideas of fermentable syrups you can find or where you might find things.

I think date syrup could be a good choice. You could probably just substitute it for the Sorghum syrup or Brown Rice Syrup in a different recipe at the same quantity. However, I am only guessing. Some syrups/extracts are more fermentable than others, so you may need to use more or use another syrup along with it.

Can you order Sorghum or Rice syrup online?

i think i can find rice syrup over here, maple i can find for sure on any store
and i don't use honey because i want it to be vegan :)

those recipes based on it? without malting and stuff like that?

Thanks,
Asaf.

I would go with at least 50% Rice syrup, and the rest date syrup and maybe another sugar. Consider Belgian Candi Syrup (Home brew shops should have it). I've used that in the few brews I've made. Add some maltodextrine if you can find it. I think it will turn out just fine.

Just do a small batch and see how it turns out, then adjust your quantities from there.

Just to start simple, I'd try something like this:

6 gallon batch.

3 lbs Rice Syrup(prior to boil)
2 lbs Date Syrup
1 lb Belgian Candi Syrup (D45) OR 1 lb of a different sugar..
•0.5 oz Magnum Hops (60 Min)
•0.25 oz Saaz (15 Min)
•1 Whirlflock Tablet (5 min)

•0.25 oz Saaz (flameout)
•1 pkg Safale US05 Yeast

I adapted this from a random recipe I found, so I don't know anything about the hops. Maybe someone else has a better hop suggestion. But this should be a good starting point.

Thanks! i will try it,
one more thing i am really new to those recipies i am not sure i am reading them right
where can i find a good explanation on reading them with full description on the process?

thanks again,
Asaf.

I was about to start a thread on this exact topic. I live in Israel and I wanted to brew a gluten free beer. Does anybody know the properties of 100% date syrup vs malt or honey?

Back