Please explain this to me........ - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Please explain this to me........

Old 11-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Neomich
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Fort Worth (soon)

Could someone explain this to me?

If you want to get 'married' you have to go to the courthouse, get a license and have both parties sign a legally binding document. Plus, there are other religious obligations prior to the actual ceremony for most people.

If you want to get divorced, you have to get lawyers involved or at the least sign yet another legally binding document to finalize it.

SWMBO wants to have a permanent procedure done to prevent her from having children. However, they are claiming that she and I must go through mandatory counseling since we don't have any children already and sign something stating we fully understand what we're agreeing to. And, SWMBO is a doctor herself! I'm pretty sure she understands.

But, if you do want kids, you don't have to have ANY counseling, authorization or anything!? Not even proof that you're capable of raising another person much less more than one?

This sounds ridiculous to me. I think there should be some sort of screening process for wanna be parents. How about making people prove they're fit to be parents before they even reproduce to begin with?

-Frank Zappa

Old 11-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
rdwj

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Plainfield, IL
Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts

We come wired to have kids. How do you propose we change that?

Old 11-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomich
Could someone explain this to me?

If you want to get 'married' you have to go to the courthouse, get a license and have both parties sign a legally binding document. Plus, there are other religious obligations prior to the actual ceremony for most people.

If you want to get divorced, you have to get lawyers involved or at the least sign yet another legally binding document to finalize it.

SWMBO wants to have a permanent procedure done to prevent her from having children. However, they are claiming that she and I must go through mandatory counseling since we don't have any children already and sign something stating we fully understand what we're agreeing to. And, SWMBO is a doctor herself! I'm pretty sure she understands.

But, if you do want kids, you don't have to have ANY counseling, authorization or anything!? Not even proof that you're capable of raising another person much less more than one?

This sounds ridiculous to me. I think there should be some sort of screening process for wanna be parents. How about making people prove they're fit to be parents before they even reproduce to begin with?
Wait, who is this "they" that are requiring you to have counseling? The hospital? The insurance carrier? The gubmint? I guess, since it's a very "final" procedure from which there is no going back, the ones who COULD be held liable by our stupid civil courts are trying to merely protect themselves from the possibility of someone who is under "mental duress" or some such sh1t coming back and suing them later. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying there there HAD to be some kind of precedent to make them institute this policy...some crackhead who got her tubes tied, then came back and sued them years later because they allowed her to go through with the decision. As with most stupid, seemingly-nonsensical policies in the private sector, you can probably count on this one being the fault of the stupid civil courts, lawyers, etc.

I do agree, though...you should have to get a license to have a kid. And this, coming from a staunch libertarian. Problem is, libertarianism and property rights are in somewhat of a conflict with parental treatment of children...as children aren't really competent adults and don't have the same mental or legal status as adults. So the compromise I'd support would be a licensing/screening process for reproduction.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 63 Times on 55 Posts

There are certain people who should be sterilized with no testing, and thusly prevented from ever infecting our planet with their offspring.

The people 4 houses up the road from me are a classic example.

Seriously though, I can certainly see the source of your frustration.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts

I can't disagree with anything said already, but I'm sure the Gov't has something to do with it.

You are denying the State of future soldiers and taxpayers...

Old 11-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

i saw a stand up comedy special and the comedian brought up that exact situation/question. it was amusing.

its one of those many many 'it doesnt make sense, but what can you do...' situations, human nature is a very funny thing

its not like they can get a screening panel to interview the sperm before entering the egg....people are going to do what people do best, hump like rabbits and reproduce

Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
DUCCCC
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I can't disagree with anything said already, but I'm sure the Gov't has something to do with it.

You are denying the State of future soldiers and taxpayers...
I think it has more to do with Social Security.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
spazus_maximus
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Da bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_stimey
i saw a stand up comedy special and the comedian brought up that exact situation/question. it was amusing.

its one of those many many 'it doesnt make sense, but what can you do...' situations, human nature is a very funny thing

its not like they can get a screening panel to interview the sperm before entering the egg....people are going to do what people do best, hump rabbits and reproduce
Nothing like humping rabbits & reproducing...

BTW im new here..

Spazus Maximus

Old 11-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Norfolk, MA
Liked 2560 Times on 1392 Posts

Just another reproductive freedom that we're losing!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
rohanski
Recipes 

Aug 2006
Boerne, Texas

Sorry to hear that. We need more intelligent people on earth to carry the load. The people breeding like rabbits are mostly lower class and can’t afford it. I think it should be mandatory for anyone on the gubment tit to be on birth control. If the people in the military are government issue so should welfare recipients.