Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Chugger Pump Just Stops During Recirculation

Old 10-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #1
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Chugger Pump Just Stops During Recirculation

I have a new Chugger pump, SS Center Inlet. I have been testing it with water before an actual brew day and am a bit concerned about my findings

I have heated water to a boil and started a recirculation. It seems to get going pretty good and doesn't really mind the bubbles. However, after some time it just stops moving water. I thought this might have something to do with the bubbles at first but the problem persists after flameout with no bubbles in the water. I do have a bleed off valve and this makes no difference. When I switch the pump off and then back on again it starts to move water for a second or two and then just stops again.

**For clarification the pump motor always stays turning, its the liquid flow that stops!

This has shattered my confidence that this pump is going to help my brew day in any way. Does this happen for anyone else? If so, what can I do to avoid this? Is there a chance that I have a lemon pump?

Old 10-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have three of those pumps and have not seen that problem. I would contact chugger.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah... I'll call them tomorrow, only got an answering machine yesterday (Saturday). Was hoping to e-mail them but their site remains (ahem..) "Under Construction"...

So it sounds like I shouldn't expect this experience to be a normal one huh? Hopefully this can be resolved before my next brew day this upcoming Saturday.. I've been looking forward to having the help from a pump.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I called and spoke with the folks at Chugger. They seemed to know the issue is with a weak magnet. I have a new magnet and impeller on the way and they should be here before my brew day! Crossing my fingers...

Old 10-30-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
Roadie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Glad you sorted this out and they worked with you as I ordered two of these center inlet pumps today.

Check out our E-brewery thread and our Brewery Setup.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Update:

Parts came in on Friday. Installation was simple. Used pump successfully on its inaugural brew yesterday. Was nice to have and now it should be no problem brewing 10+gallon batches by myself!

Old 11-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
kevink
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That's disturbing. Did they mention how many pumps got bad magnets or approximate manufacture dates of the faulty units? Is there a way to identify the bad magnets short of testing the system? When did you buy your pump?

Old 11-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, it was disappointing but they took care of it so I'm happy. I don't think you could determine if the issue exists without doing the test as I did. There was no mention of bad lot's or anything.

I actually just bought my pump from "Adventures In Homebrew" on 09/18/2013. Even though I just bought it, the serial number indicates it was manufactured in 12/2012. Must have been old stock or something...

Old 11-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
CJBrewVT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds very much like my March pump problem I posted yesterday. Hmm...

Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
millerjr934
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the same issue going on right now they sent out new magnets work great for the mash would not work during the boil had to use the old chiller didn't want any problems with the plate chiller now they say it's a priming problem I have a bottom drain keggle straight to the pump been running the same rig since February brew almost every weekend