A horrible morning already - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > A horrible morning already

Old 11-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

So, I wake up this morning, take the dog out and notice something. A big empty spot where I parked my car last night. Yup, my car was stolen from right in front of my house. I live in a normal neighborhood in New Haven, not great but not bad either.

I called the police to report it stolen. I tell the person on the phone it's a 98 Acura Integra. She says, "Yeah, that's a real common one to get stolen" Great...

I call my insurance company to file the claim, the service rep pulls up my policy and says, "Oh, it's an Integra. That car has a very high theft rate" Great...

I didn't realize that old integras are such a commodity in the car thief community

Of course my neighbor's bright red convertible Nissan 350Z doesn't get touched, but my 9 year old car gets stolen???

The police said they'll start looking for it but I'm not holding my breath. I'll get some money from my insurance company, but not enough to buy a new car so that means I'll have a car payment for the first time in a very long time.

So here I am waiting for the rental car company to pick me up, and I figured I'd vent to you guys...

I'm soooo pissed right now!!!!

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

Damn, dude, that sucks! Crap....

There must be something about the Integra that makes it easy to chop (parts work on a lot of other cars or something like that). Pisser...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 11-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

Ouch, that reeeeeeeeally sucks, man. Old Ac's and Hondas have that high theft rate because they're worth a bunch in the chop shop. As a whole, a 98 Integra probably isn't worth all that much (KBB et al), but disassemble it and sell the parts on the black/grey market and you can make a fortune.

Plus, a bright red 350Z convertible is a little easier for the cops to spot than a 9 year old Integra.

Car payments suck, dude. I really hope it turns up, or at least, your insurance company is fair about it. I wish you luck...and I'll raise a glass to your car returning tonight.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
I'll never have to worry about that with my vehicle. Even thieves don't want to have to fill the gas tank in an Excursion.
you drive an Explosion? word! does it beep when you put it in reverse?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Dude, that sucks ass... I would never imagine someone walking up to my front yard and taking my car. That's insane. Well, on the bright side, you get a new car

Did you have any credence tapes in there?

Old 11-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8032 Times on 5611 Posts

Unbelievable! That really sucks. I would never expect a 9 year old car to be stolen, especially right out of your friggin driveway. Now, it'll be all the crap you have to deal with plus buying a new car. Geez. I'm really bummed for you.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
beergears

Recipes 

Oct 2007
somewhere west of Boston Harba'
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My Mass. insurance co. adds a list of hot cars to the yearly renewal. If your model is on it you end up paying more.. and , yes, the list is surprising. A lot of "mid-life" Japanese cars are on it, like a V6 Camry...!

My readings indicate that a lot has to do with underground chop shops, for anything from seats to airbags (a hot item for repairs) or worse, like overseas container shipments on high-end. Such a traffic ring was discovered last week in China, I think.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8032 Times on 5611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
I'll never have to worry about that with my vehicle. Even thieves don't want to have to fill the gas tank in an Excursion.

I have several older cars- one of which is a 1990 GMC Suburban. It has a 40 gallon gas tank and 8 passenger seating. Both my kids learned (one is now learning) to drive on this vehicle. If you can park this puppy, you can park a tank. It still runs great, though, so I can't bear to get rid of it.

cnbudz, you could borrow it if you want- I loan it out to friends all the time. You gotta pick it up here, though!

Old 11-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #10
JustDave

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Mass.
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

That really sucks, man.

On the bright side, the day's gotta get better from here!