Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Pumpkin Spice Mead

Old 10-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
LennartBendfeldt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pumpkin Spice Mead

Hey all,

Recently, I've gotten into making mead. I have made 2 batches, a show mead and a JAOM, thanks to all y'all's help! (: Anyway, i love pumpkin spiced things, so i thought, what better thing to pumpkin spice than mead? I didn't search through the forums for a pumpkin spice mead before because i wanted to try my hand at making a recipe. So, this is my first recipe, tell me what you think (: this should be a sweet dessert mead where you can really taste the pumpkin spice! Also, this will be fermenting in a pumpkin for the first week!

Ingredients (1 gallon)
1 packet of bread yeast (so it stays sweet)
3 pounds clover honey
1 cup brown sugar
2 pounds pumpkin puree
3 sticks cinnamon
1 leveled tsp of nutmeg
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 gal. water and enough water to fill up to 1 gallon.

Process
Warm up water and add honey.
Put in pumpkin and add all ingredients.
Pitch yeast at room temp
Rack after a week into carboy(or alternative)
After clearing, bottle until next fall (:

Anything that you guys can add? I look up to you all and hope to learn from you. Should i adjust the ratios? Different yeast? All that jazz (: Thanks in advance

Old 10-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Brann_mac_Finnchad
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I would use an ale yeast instead of the bread, since you want it sweet. However, running your recipe through a brewing calculator, I'm getting a good 18% potential ABV (1.142 SG)--i.e. a standard wine yeast would leave you some residual sweetness (as long as you don't go with 1116/1118). If you want it lower abv than that, I say omit the brown sugar, and use maybe 1/4 cup molasses in it's place (for the flavour) (which should bring it down to around 15% potential ABV).

If it were me, I would use fresh pumpkin (and roast it), bring it up to a full three pounds, and boil it to extract the flavours...that way there is less solids in the must. If you carve a jack-o-lantern you can get all you need from scraping the insides...

Spices: If you aren't concerned about particulate matter (since you are planning on ground nutmeg), I say to use full on pumpkin pie spice. Otherwise, I don't have much to say, other than that will probably be too much cinnamon--try 1 stick, and add more in secondary if you want.

Hope that helps, and happy brewing.

Primary: House Cider; Carrot Wine. Anchorage Brewing Dregs Cider
Secondary: Rhubarb Wine, House Cider
Tertiary (or higher):
Drinking: House Cider, Cherry Cyser, Belgian Walnut Graff, Rhubarb Wine

Old 10-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
snuesen
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

In addition to the pumpkin some folks put in some baked sweet potato as well. Haven't tried this style yet myself tho.

You probably wanna add your spices in secondary instead of up front. They don't have any sugar for the yeast, so you risk in primary for the fermentation to blow the aromatics out of the mead. I would also guess, based on what I've read, that 1 cinnamon stick should be sufficient.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
bwhupp
Recipes 

Likes Given: 14

I like the idea of this, but have yet to pull the trigger and start my first mead. I am so overwhelmed of do this, don't do that, when to do this, when to do that, you cant do this... that i am paranoid to try!

Do tell me more when you get this recipe rolling. I am very interested in it!