High mash efficiency - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > High mash efficiency

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
dogslapbrewery
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Buffalo, New York
Posts: 160
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts



Started playing with my pH last Couple of batches and my efficiency have been mid 90's. I've figured it out my self and using different online calculators so I'm pretty positive its correct. My last batch I got 7.5 gallons at 1.049 which turned out to be 95%. I took gravity runnings at the end and I was only low at 1.020, pretty much my question is I heard you wanna be between 80-85 and to high will start extracting off flavors. I haven't noticed anything and also I wasn't at 1.010. Is this something I should watch?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,887
Liked 166 Times on 134 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslapbrewery View Post
Started playing with my pH last Couple of batches and my efficiency have been mid 90's. I've figured it out my self and using different online calculators so I'm pretty positive its correct. My last batch I got 7.5 gallons at 1.049 which turned out to be 95%. I took gravity runnings at the end and I was only low at 1.020, pretty much my question is I heard you wanna be between 80-85 and to high will start extracting off flavors. I haven't noticed anything and also I wasn't at 1.010. Is this something I should watch?
90% efficiency is quite hard to get. Did you get someone to review your numbers/math?

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #3
dogslapbrewery
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Buffalo, New York
Posts: 160
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts


I've plugged it into efficiency calculators where you select how many lbs and type of grab, total yield gallons and points

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
dogslapbrewery
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Buffalo, New York
Posts: 160
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts


Points x gallons lbs= x
49x7.510.5=35
3537=95%

9.5 lbs- two row
1lb - crystal 20

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:49 AM   #5
dogslapbrewery
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Buffalo, New York
Posts: 160
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts


Is my brew house just that awesome or am I messing up the math?

Mashed with 4 gallons at 151 degrees 60m 1.53lbs/qt
Batched sparged with 3 gallons at 170 degrees and then fly sparged 1.5 gallons on top of the batch sparge.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,887
Liked 166 Times on 134 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslapbrewery View Post
Is my brew house just that awesome or am I messing up the math?

Mashed with 4 gallons at 151 degrees 60m 1.53lbs/qt
Batched sparged with 3 gallons at 170 degrees and then fly sparged 1.5 gallons on top of the batch sparge.
How do you get efficiency without providing the number of pounds of grain and the final volume?

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Black Island Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Black Island Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Isla Negra
Posts: 2,011
Liked 788 Times on 442 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslapbrewery View Post
Points x gallons lbs= x
49x7.510.5=35
3537=95%

9.5 lbs- two row
1lb - crystal 20
So, just to be clear, 1.049 was the gravity of your 7.5 gallons of runoff, and NOT the OG of your post-boil wort?

If so, then yes, you are getting 94.5% efficiency. How does it taste?

What doesn't make sense is how your final runnings could still be 1.020, which means you're leaving a LOT of sugar behind, which can't be if you're getting 94.5% efficiency. I'd have to chalk it up to a measuring tool problem. Calibrate your hydrometer?
__________________
"Oh don't give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/No, don't you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die/Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
pjj2ba's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
State College, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,379
Liked 206 Times on 167 Posts


I was concerned about high efficiency and less flavors, not off flavors. Less malt = less potential flavor. I have not problems with off flavors and my efficiency runs in the low to mid 90's. No problems with off flavors. The flavors I want are there after a little tweaking - I upped the specialty malts a little and backed off on the base malt to keep the ABV where I want it.
__________________
On Tap: Doppelbock O'fest, Pale Ale, cider
Kegged and Aging/Lagering: CAP, Ger. Pils, OKZ (std Amer. lager), CZ Pils, Amer. Wheat, Rye IPA, Saison
Secondary:
Primary: Ger Pils, CAP
Brewing soon: Pale lager, Amer. wheat
Recently kicked : (
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
dogslapbrewery
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Buffalo, New York
Posts: 160
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts


Yeah that's my PBG, but my hydrometer was reading 1.008 at around 135 would brings it up to 1.023 since its calibrated at 60 degrees. I didn't think of mixing a solution that I know its gravity to compare my hydrometer against. Good idea cause I'm sure that's gotta be it! Any know a good hydrometer calibration recipe? Or can I just use water and it should read 1.000?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
dcbw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 285
Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts


Yes, distilled water should read 1.000. Also try cooling down any sample to below 80 F as hydrometers are pretty inaccurate above that, even with temp adjust calculators.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brew in a bag, overnight mash for high efficiency badducky All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 01-23-2013 09:03 PM
Sparging Technique High Efficiency but High Preboil Volume jlangfo5 General Techniques 8 09-05-2012 02:23 AM
Do people report mash efficiency or brewhouse efficiency? thisoneguy All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 66 07-25-2012 05:37 AM
Such thing as too high brewhouse/mash efficiency? rp5brew General Techniques 17 11-29-2011 10:47 PM
High mash efficiency problem Skinner All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 05-16-2011 02:38 PM


Forum Jump