Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pumpkin IPA

Old 10-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
muse435

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Charlotte, North Carolina
Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

I love pumpkin! The problem I have with most pumpkin beer is that they use just enough pumpkin to sell it in the fall. For the original recipe that i used it called for 30oz of pumpkin and I am now up to about 100oz for my pumpkin ale. Now the real question has anyone tried or drank a pumpkin IPA? I love IPAs and I love pumpkin beers i just have no idea if the flavors will work together. The hops i plan on using are 3 oz. of chinook hop pellets (what I have).

Any thoughts?

Starter - Onyx IPA
Primary - The Elf's' Reward
Kegged - Too Sweet Honey Ale

"Drinking cheep beer is like having sex with an ugly woman, sure it gets the job done, but your friends WILL find out!"

Old 10-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
jro238
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts

I haven't ever tried it. I personally use about 4 lb of canned pumpkin in my pumpkin ale and 2 oz of mt hood (1.5 bittering, .5 aroma).

I would try to be careful not to overpower the pumpkin spices with the hops, but I don't think you're likely to do that with 3oz.

Let us know how it turns out

Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
TheSmithsEra

Recipes 

Jul 2012
, California
Liked 49 Times on 38 Posts

I like this idea more than coconut

Old 10-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2013
Aurora, CO
Liked 755 Times on 629 Posts

I think it would be very hard to taste the pumpkin with lots of hops. Fruit beers aren't typically hoppy for that very reason.

Why does Happy Hour limit happiness to 1/24 of the day?

Old 10-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
hedbutter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I currently have a black pumpkin IPA fermenting, based off of the Hopstache black IPA kit from Midwest (i contacted them directly to get the required ingredients as it isn't for sale this year yet). As for the pumpkin, I baked approximately 5 2 lb pumpkins, quartered, with some brown sugar, nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon on top for about an hour at 350. Pull them out and let them cool, and once cool, scrap out the pulp and put it into a fine mash bag. Add at 15 minutes left in the boil, and at 10 minutes, add a stick of cinnamon, tsp of nutmeg and allspice. I used the same pumpkin amount and spices in a dark wheat last year, and it came out with a just a hint of pumpkin but not over powering.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
muse435

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Charlotte, North Carolina
Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

I do not use a mesh bag. I pour all of the wort into the carboy and let it "dry pumpkin" in the primary.

Starter - Onyx IPA
Primary - The Elf's' Reward
Kegged - Too Sweet Honey Ale

"Drinking cheep beer is like having sex with an ugly woman, sure it gets the job done, but your friends WILL find out!"