Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Taylor TruTemp Digital Thermometer...

Old 11-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
brett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Default Taylor TruTemp Digital Thermometer...

Does anyone use this digital thermometer? What is your opinion of it?

http://www.target.com/Taylor-TruTemp...mometer&page=1

I purchased one last Saturday, and it was a dud. Kept turning on and off randomly. So I took it back, and exchanged for a new one. Tried it out on my batch I was brewing that day, and read my mash temp about 5 degrees lower than my trusty glass thermometer, seen here:

http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbsto...7409&x=49&y=17

After the mash, the digital thermometer started to read 205F and wouldn't budge. Won't go up, won't go down. What the f*ck. Second one broken too I guess...

Does anyone else use this digital thermometer? Is this just bad luck on my part? What do you think is more accurate, the digital or the old-fashion glass?

Primary 1: House Ale (yay!)
Primary 2: empty
Primary 3: empty
Primary 4: empty
Bottle Conditioning: Apfelwein
Bottle Conditioning: Apfelwein + Blueberry
Kegged/Drinking: Partigyle Brown Ale
Conditioning: New House Barley Wine
Conditioning: Ghetto canned kit bitter (Surprisingly getting better w/ age)
Just Finished: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up next: More House Ale ?!?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
Moonpile

Recipes 

I think that might be the one I have, but without seeing it I'm not sure.

Did you waterproof the cord? I had a Pyrex brand one which I got the cord wet on and it went haywire.

Apparently Walmart now has a $16 one with silicone sheath. I must have missed it 'cause I bought mine 3 weeks ago for $13 with no silicone sheath, but I put aquarium tubing on (hint: spray probe with olive oil or something to make it slide on).

Worked just fine, but I can't say I calibrated it against a glass thermo (since I don't have one).

Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
uwjester
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have/had that one too and it stopped working after I allowed the probe to submerge in a carboy. I wanted to try the temp at different levels to make sure I could pitch the yeast and the probe hasn't worked since. For me, the temp shows around 90F at room temp (70F or so) so I set it aside and bought a new walmart one. I don't know if the walmart version is sealed or not, but I don't plan on submerging this one.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
brett

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpile
I think that might be the one I have, but without seeing it I'm not sure.

Did you waterproof the cord? I had a Pyrex brand one which I got the cord wet on and it went haywire.

Apparently Walmart now has a $16 one with silicone sheath. I must have missed it 'cause I bought mine 3 weeks ago for $13 with no silicone sheath, but I put aquarium tubing on (hint: spray probe with olive oil or something to make it slide on).

Worked just fine, but I can't say I calibrated it against a glass thermo (since I don't have one).
Nope, didn't water-proof. :-( But then again I didn't fully submerge the probe in the mash/wort. I don't know what's happening, but even if it is my fault, I'm beginning to think the quality of this thermometer will not meet my needs.... :-(

Primary 1: House Ale (yay!)
Primary 2: empty
Primary 3: empty
Primary 4: empty
Bottle Conditioning: Apfelwein
Bottle Conditioning: Apfelwein + Blueberry
Kegged/Drinking: Partigyle Brown Ale
Conditioning: New House Barley Wine
Conditioning: Ghetto canned kit bitter (Surprisingly getting better w/ age)
Just Finished: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up next: More House Ale ?!?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
cpbergie
Recipes 

i have two of them. I "calibrated" it in a glass of ice water, and it seemed to be accurate. Right before it went down to 32 degrees, it starting showing "LO" for the temperature. The two i have are within 1 degree of each other.

I did waterproof one for the mash.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have one. I did the waterproofing with silicone tubing. It has been reliable, but as I documented here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...ht=thermometer
not all that accurate.
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1299 Times on 853 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If you get moisture down into the metal part of the probe, it will read wrong. If you do the silicone air tubing trick that I documented, you can dunk it into any hot liquid, mash or bk wort. However, don't try then using it in an oven to say monitor the temp of a ham or turkey. The silicone tubing and Orings I used melted nicely at 350F. I found my tru-temps to not be so "tru". One read 2F low and the other read 4F low.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
rohanski
Recipes 

This it the one I got. http://www.amazon.com/Tru-Temp-Digit...372997&sr=1-62 You can submerge the whole cord.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
psi3000
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have a bunch of digital wired and wireless thermometers. Not a single one of them reads the same. I would calibrate them but I have nothing to calibrate them to. Should I be really concerned that during my mash I am + or - 3 or 4 degrees?. Is it that important to be at 151 F instead of 155F?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #10
rohanski
Recipes 

I have two different ones and surprisingly they are within on tenth of a degree.