I'm sorry for asking this...does this look infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glaurung30

Reaction score
I feel really bad asking this but I need opinions. This is a pumpkin ale that has been in the primary for 3 weeks. I just transfered it to the secondary two days ago and this picture is in the secondary. Everything was sanitized well. There are no off smells and no off flavors. I have a feeling this is just yeast but wanted others opinions on it. Again I'm sorry for asking this because I know this is one of the most asked questions.

Thanks

IMAG7270.jpg

looks like pellicle..... I imagine you would be getting a slightly sour smell.....

Maybe rack from underneath that beezy and cross your fingers....

Yeah I was suspecting it might be pellicle after seeing many pictures and comparing. I'll probably bottle it tomorrow.

Like I said, I'm not sure. If it is infected, it looks like the very beginning of the infection.

Regarding bottling, make sure it is at a stable FG. The issue with infections is that the bacteria can sometimes eat sugars that yeast cannot. So it you bottle and the bacteria keep eating, you could potentially get bottle bombs. At least that is my understanding. Good luck and keep your fingers crossed that it only LOOKS like an infection.

Like I said, I'm not sure. If it is infected, it looks like the very beginning of the infection.

Regarding bottling, make sure it is at a stable FG. The issue with infections is that the bacteria can sometimes eat sugars that yeast cannot. So it you bottle and the bacteria keep eating, you could potentially get bottle bombs. At least that is my understanding. Good luck and keep your fingers crossed that it only LOOKS like an infection.

Oh shoot good point about the bottle bombs. I didn't think of that. Well I will wait it out and see how it develops.

that's the begining of a lactobacylis infection. Looks like broken ice pack. Then it gets slimy bubbles on it as it developes. Rack out from under it to the bottling bucket if it's at a stable FG now.

Yep it's still growing. Again, if you can check the FG and its stable and near where it's supposed to be, go ahead and rack underneath and bottle, otherwise it'll just keep getting worse.

Yep the FG is right where the recipe called for tonight. I'm going to measure it again tomorrow night to see if it's changed.

What I have found after I have bottled this...it's not sour...it's actually very yeasty tasting.

Back