Chronical Fermenter by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copbrew133

Reaction score
I did a quick search for this I didn't see anything. I saw the ad for this in this month's Zymurgy and wondered if anyone has used any of their products, particularly the conical fermenter. Trying to get a little feedback as the price, for a 7 gallon, appears pretty good and I was thinking of purchasing one in the spring in the 14 gal size. The link is below.

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/7-gallon-chronical

Holy jeezus that is cheap! Unfortunately cannot say I've used any of their products but their brew bucket looks pretty cool too- not a true conical but stackable! I would love to patronize these fine gentleman and or ladies now to scrape up the cash in 5 days for when they estimate to have stock again.

Holy smokes, remove this post immediately so everyone else on HBT doesn't clean them out before I get one!!!!

I like the looks of the conical, especially the lid closure, just hope they'll get the 14 gallon into production early in the spring.

@copbrew133 - I haven't used their products yet, but I do have a Brew Bucket and will be filling it with a pale ale this weekend. I've seen the "chronical" up close and it is well made. The price-point that SS is hitting is finally making fermentation in stainless a viable option for many homebrewers. :ban:

@bobbybob - that's a good idea. ;)

Once we use it, we'll post some pictures on our blog.

that brew bucket looks pretty damn tempting, especially if it fits in my 4.6 cuft fermentation fridge. dumping trub, easy yeast harvesting (maybe, depending on racking arm design). tempting...

I just saw this in the recent BYO magazine and had to do a triple take. Looks like there moving fast because everything is sold out until Dec. Sweet looking products and a LOW price!

I recently emailed them regarding the 14 gallon and it sounds like it well be a few months into 2014 at the best estimate. They mentioned that the brew buckets are selling like crazy and they are having a hard time keeping up with demands. Seemed like very nice friendly people.

I saw the bucket advertised in BYO and purposely left that page open so my wife had to see it. I need at least 2 of those STAT!

Now this kind of price point will get a lot more guys into stainless. I'm half tempted to pick up one as soon as they come back in stock. One 7gal should hold me over until the 14's come out :)

I overestimated my own sneakyness, she didn't see it.:( Or maybe she thought I have enough kegs and fermenters. She just doesn't get that I can always want more, (especially stainless) :D.

I'm sticking with 8 gallon (US) plastic fermentation buckets myself. I find them so much easier to clean and manage. YMMV!

Kal

Wow, wow, wow.

Incredible deal! Might have to reprioritize my upgrades now...

The only thing that makes no sense is why they went with 1/2" NPT ball valves and then 1/2" NPT to Triclamp adapters instead of just using 1/2" Triclamp ball valves... (Has to be almost the same price especially when they're using 3 piece ball valves already.)

Adam

@copbrew133 - I haven't used their products yet, but I do have a Brew Bucket and will be filling it with a pale ale this weekend. I've seen the "chronical" up close and it is well made. The price-point that SS is hitting is finally making fermentation in stainless a viable option for many homebrewers. :ban:

@bobbybob - that's a good idea. ;)

Once we use it, we'll post some pictures on our blog.

Curious if you have used the Ss brew bucket yet? Looking at the pictures of the bucket, I was thinking that the angle of the cone is not as sharp as other conical fermenters, which could affect the ability to remove the trub and collect yeast (as documented by those who have tried upside-down carboys for fermenters). Please let us know what your experience is, thanks!

Curious if you have used the Ss brew bucket yet? Looking at the pictures of the bucket, I was thinking that the angle of the cone is not as sharp as other conical fermenters, which could affect the ability to remove the trub and collect yeast (as documented by those who have tried upside-down carboys for fermenters). Please let us know what your experience is, thanks!

I don't think that's the purpose of the brew bucket considering there appears to be no ball valve at the bottom of the cone. I don't see a way to remove it at all.

They should extend the free shipping offer since they haven't had any to ship for its duration.

Has anyone received a lottery email for the brew bucket from these guys yet. They said they are changing their process for selling the next batch of brew buckets because of demand.

I know a few people around here that are interested in getting on, but none of us has received that lucky email yet.

Has anyone received a lottery email for the brew bucket from these guys yet. They said they are changing their process for selling the next batch of brew buckets because of demand.

I know a few people around here that are interested in getting on, but none of us has received that lucky email yet.

I have been on the waiting list for over a month. I get an email from them about once per week. I did not make the cut in the first lottery...as usual. I would have bought two, but they are limiting purchases to one per customer until they get all the wait list customers filled.

I bet it's all a hoax to create hype. How is it they get a shipment in and nobody(including vendors) don't get any. I didn't even sign up for the bucket and get spammed about it. In the email there is even a link to send the email to my friends. I was interested in the conical, but have moved on and would rather to pay a little more to a straight forward merchant.

Anyone see any reason why it'd be problematic to punch a hole for a thermowell in the side of one of the stainless brew buckets?

Just got an email tonight asking to confirm paypal account email. I'll let everyone know when I get the brew bucket.

I just got an e-mail too asking me to confirm my Paypal info. Can't wait for the SS brew bucket to arrive.

I wish someone had one already. The dimension specs say it is 21" tall and 13" wide. My fermentation fridge is only 12" at the bottom due to the hump in the back from the compressor. It does look like the bucket tapers slightly so I'm hoping it will fit. I'll post full dimensions once I get it for others.

anyone order their corny keg?

I don't like this idea: "Also features concave bottom which allows yeast to settle out on the sides of the keg and not in the middle where the dip tube intakes beer!!! "

You don't want your beer to be sitting on yeast/hop/trub while in the keg. I look forward to the first pint of muck everytime I tap a keg just b/c I know it is finally out of contact with the beer.

The brew bucket looks really interesting. The only problem I would have is that the freezer I'm using would only be able to hold 1 at a time - too wide. I can fit 2 glass carboys in the freezer without any problem. But for $175 I have to say that I'm very interested. A nice looking piece of brewing equipment, and a step up from glass carboys.

ostrtj99 said:
Just got an email tonight asking to confirm paypal account email. I'll let everyone know when I get the brew bucket.

Maybe I'll get an email soon. I didn't really like the way they are drawing names instead of first come first served. Let us know how they look. I'm sure they'll,be on the thin side, but for the money, I have to try one.

I have a brew bucket. Couldn't be happier with it. Fits perfectly in my freezer/fermentation chest. I believe it is 21' high, but remember that is without an airlock. It is 13' in diameter

I don't like this idea: "Also features concave bottom which allows yeast to settle out on the sides of the keg and not in the middle where the dip tube intakes beer!!! "

You don't want your beer to be sitting on yeast/hop/trub while in the keg. I look forward to the first pint of muck everytime I tap a keg just b/c I know it is finally out of contact with the beer.

Right but if you rack to the keg and avoid the trub then is it still a poor design?

I have a brew bucket. Couldn't be happier with it. Fits perfectly in my freezer/fermentation chest. I believe it is 21' high, but remember that is without an airlock. It is 13' in diameter

Thanks walter 12. Even if you are ligit, you are going to get called out on the fact that you have been a member since Dec, 2011 and this is your first post. A photo of the brew bucket inside your fermentation chest would be nice.

Right but if you rack to the keg and avoid the trub then is it still a poor design?

In my opinion...... Yes.

I generally only make stouts or hopped up IPAs. Maybe there are some pro autosiphoners on here but i cannot avoid sucking up dryhops or trub/yeast o save my life.

Why buy a new keg that makes your beer sit on sediment when you can buy a new one with a concave in the center to get it all out in the first pint or two for the same price? Just does not make sense, it also prevents you from sucking it dry.

They are $99 shipped though for a new keg....

Then again. None to be had though.

Back