Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Rodent proof grain in my basement?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
jcorn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Rodent proof grain in my basement?

Ok so my girlfriend and her family made me a huge homebrewstation/bar for my birthday and built it in my basement. In the inside of the bar I can place all of my grains and homebrewing equipment. I buy most of my batches in 12 grain uncrushed grain which arrives in sealed bags. Are these sealed bags (some of them I break down into halves in ziploc baggies) rodent proof if I place them in the shelves of my bar? What is the proper way of storing this stuff? I have never seen a mouse in my house but it is a very old house. Click image for larger version

Name:	kentuckybar.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	154608

Click image for larger version

Name:	kentuckybarinside.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	154609

Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'd seal the bags in Rubbermaid containers. Critters can smell yummy right through plastic bags and will eat through the bags to get at the seeds. So you really need to put at least one more layer between your grain and "predators".

Plus sealing it in a tightly-sealed plastic container will also keep it fresher longer.

Bob

Old 10-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
jcorn
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Ok thank you much!

Old 10-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
bnilguy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I have the same problem..especially now that it's getting cooler. I use some rubbermaid type containers..seems to work

Old 10-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 622 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Dude that is KILLER! What a great gift from a GF and parents! She is a KEEPER for sure!!

You will want to add more than the Zip Lock bags for sure. Homer buckets work good if they will fit in there. They seal up nicely. But your going to want to add something else.

Nice bar! I love it.

Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guy Cigar Club

Old 10-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #6
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 909 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Even plastic boxes are not rodent proof. If you find ANY evidence of rodents, set traps. Some sort of metal boxes with airtight containers inside. I have my grains in the basement in buckets with Gamma lids and others in lock and lock containers. No problems so far.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
AlCophile
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Nope, not Rubbermaid. My place is only 30yrs old, and it is rodent Grand Central. I catch(dead!!!) a dozen mice a year, and every so often, one scales a metal cabinet to get at food. I have about 12 traps, and, at night I may hear the SNAP! as another mouse gets whacked.
I have a chipmunk, who stays outside, but he gnawed thru a poly jug to get sunflower seeds.
You will have to use metal, preferably steel trash cans, with snug lids. Surround the cans with traps.
If one does get to your grain, it may sound disgusting, but, if you can remove the turds, the boil will kill most pathogens.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
jcorn
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Jaybird, thanks man yes I absolutely love it and am now finishing out my basement because of it! Shes a keeper for sure. Supports all of my crazy antics and brewing bs lol.
I buy alot of 10lb uncrushed 2 row bags. Seems like they would be akward to fit in a bucket. Guess I could always open the bags and directly pour all grain into a bucket though? Seems kinda pointless to take them out of a sealed bag too though...

Old 10-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I have my grains in sealed Homer buckets and I still get some bugs. I have no idea how. They get run through the mill, mashed at 152', boiled for 60 minutes, fermented for 3 weeks and bottled for 3 weeks. I doubt they survived. I reckon you could put a turd through there without a problem.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
inthesound
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

My basement had a big earwig problem this summer. All my grain is either in the plastic bags from the malsters or the homebrew shop, then it goes into a big Rubbermaid tote. All my base malts are in the Rubbermaid totes. All the specialty grains are in a shopping bag. Haven't had any problems so far. Make sure you sweep up after you spill your grain. Don't leave any invitations!