Teflon tape question - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Teflon tape question

Old 10-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
TxBeerGuy
Recipes 

Dec 2012
, Texas

Okay, please forgive my ignorance when it comes to this topic, okay? lol

I have a Heavy Duty kettle with ball valve, barb fitting, and thermometer from Morebeer. This past weekend I went to Home Depot and bought teflon tape to make waterproof seals because for plumbing I've always seen teflon tape used. Is it actually required in this instance and how much is necessary to use, because with the amount I used I cannot tighten the fittings all the way. I'll do my best to post a pic tomorrow but I need to leave for work now. Thanks so much in advance, everyone.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
kevinb

Recipes 

Mar 2012
, MA
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

For typical applications, I only wrap the fitting with about three wraps of tape. That is all you need to make a seal. Also, I am not sure what you mean about screwing all the way in. Pipe threads are tapered and design to stop. You can't screw a pipe thread all the way in. Also, make sure you wrap the tape in the proper direction. If you are screwing the fitting in CW you want to wrap the tape CCW.

"People who drink light ‘beer’ don’t like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

unionrdr Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
NateLTB

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Seattle, Washington
Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Three wraps is enough teflon with the standard tape. There are a couple of brands that are making thicker tape and only require about a wrap and a half but it's usually blue (for water), yellow (for gas) or pink (for stainless steel). If it's white in color you will be good with three wraps.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1796 Times on 1141 Posts

It sounds like a common misconception that NPT fittings will fully thread together until no threads are visible. Most will mesh by 2 revolutions if not 3.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
TxBeerGuy
Recipes 

Dec 2012
, Texas

=) Thanks everyone for the help. I truly appreciate all the responses. Are there any alternatives to using teflon tape, such as those little inserts used on the fitting for kegs? I don't know what they're called but they look sort of like a plastic ring that goes inside of the part being screwed on?

Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
brewkinger
AdirondacKinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2012
NEK, Vermont
Liked 345 Times on 282 Posts

I would stick with Teflon tape. I personally use nothing but blue monster tape and replace it once a year

PRIMARY: Northeast Style IPA aka "Roscoe"
PRIMARY: Centennial '75 Session IPA
BOTTLED: Razapple Wine- Vintage 2014
BOTTLED: Orange Haze Blonde
BOTTLED:
KEGGED:
PLANNING: Centennial Orange Blonde
PLANNING: Roscoe V.2
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

Jan 2013
Pasadena, MD
Liked 1247 Times on 1066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
For typical applications, I only wrap the fitting with about three wraps of tape. That is all you need to make a seal. Also, I am not sure what you mean about screwing all the way in. Pipe threads are tapered and design to stop. You can't screw a pipe thread all the way in. Also, make sure you wrap the tape in the proper direction. If you are screwing the fitting in CW you want to wrap the tape CCW.
Shouldn't the tape always be wound in the same direction as you thread on?

Old 10-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3712 Times on 3184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
Shouldn't the tape always be wound in the same direction as you thread on?
No. I use it a lot on fuel systems & the like. Tipical US standard threads are right hand. That is to say,tightened clock-wise. so you wind the teflon tape counter-clock-wise,so that the act of tightening in the opposite direction doesn't unwind the tape. But rather tightens it.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 10-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
kevinb

Recipes 

Mar 2012
, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
No. I use it a lot on fuel systems & the like. Tipical US standard threads are right hand. That is to say,tightened clock-wise. so you wind the teflon tape counter-clock-wise,so that the act of tightening in the opposite direction doesn't unwind the tape. But rather tightens it.
Yes - This.

"People who drink light ‘beer’ don’t like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Old 10-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
kevinb

Recipes 

Mar 2012
, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBeerGuy View Post
=) Thanks everyone for the help. I truly appreciate all the responses. Are there any alternatives to using teflon tape, such as those little inserts used on the fitting for kegs? I don't know what they're called but they look sort of like a plastic ring that goes inside of the part being screwed on?
Loctite and other companies make "liquid Teflon tape" but I don't recommend this. Whenever I use this at work I have issues. Stick with the tape.