Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Cooler score!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
srice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Cooler score!

I'm getting ready for my first AG brew this weekend and decided that I will go ahead and set up a HLT instead of trying to manage with just my BK, MT and a few buckets. I stopped by Home Depot to pick up a 10 gallon drink cooler. As I was looking at the stock on the shelf, I noticed one cooler was missing the valve and it was rather dusty since it had been sitting for a long time. I grabbed it and headed to the service desk to see if they would negotiate on an incomplete product. After a brief negotiation, I walked out with a $22 cooler with the first step of my HLT conversion completed for me!

People Like This 
Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
SafariJack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Great score!!!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
CCBrewer
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice, I ALWAYS look for stuff like this. especially where I know CONTRACTORS steal items from.

Air tools, drill bits kits, tile boxes, ratchet sets I get some nice deals every now and then.

Saw a chest freezer all banged up 7.2CUFT frid. for under $100.
Thinking: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde,
Swmbo Slayer,
MEADS LOTS

Old 10-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1324 Times on 865 Posts
Likes Given: 148

missing the valve?

how much of it?

with my converted cooler, I still had to keep & use one of the parts from the original drain assembly. needed the gasket to keep the conversion from leaking

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
srice
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
missing the valve?

how much of it?

with my converted cooler, I still had to keep & use one of the parts from the original drain assembly. needed the gasket to keep the conversion from leaking
The gasket was still sitting inside the cooler

There was actually a second cooler sitting there in the same shape. If I had a need for it, I would have grabbed it too.

And I've got a $110 7 ft freezer as my fermentation chamber. It was sitting in the discount area of Lowe's with a dent in a back corner. It was missing one of the hinge covers and I was attempting to knock a few more $$ off for that when SWMBO pulled a cover off the other dented freezer and stuck it on the one I was interested in.

I do have to give credit to SWMBO because she is an excellent shopper and we have a basement full of slightly dented canned goods from Kroger which she picks up from the scratch and dent section.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1324 Times on 865 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by srice View Post
The gasket was still sitting inside the cooler
awesome score, then!

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2