I had the day off and brewed what I'm calling an Imperial Blonde ale.
My main goal for this specialty beer was to create a Blonde Ale, but just bigger! Yeah, it's not really that hard to create an Imperial Blonde, just add more pale malt...but I wanted to see if I could create a balanced and drinkable Blonde with a boatload of alcohol that wasn't hot or solventy.
I also LOVE Belgians, but I wanted to try a more trational Blonde Ale without the esters that would be more characteristic of a Strong Belgian Ale.
I brewed today, so will be adding more to the thread as it happens.
Smoke N Beer IBA:
OG - 1.094
FG - 1.018
ABV - 10.1%
IBU - 29.5
Bitterness Ratio - .33
Pre-Boil Vol - 7 gal
Pre-Boil Gravity - 1.073
20# Pale Malt (Muntons, 1.3 SRM)
LBHS grabbed the Britt malt, and I didn't catch the mistake; I was planning on using US malt. I'm not overly concerned here, and I doubt my palate would be able to tell the difference.
2 oz Crystal Hops (3.8 AAU) - 60 min
1 oz Crystal Hops (4.3 AAU) - 60 min
Only reason I separated it out was because I just happened to grab a bag of hops that was different than the other two. Because I styled this beer after a Blonde Ale, I wanted to keep the bitterness ratio inline with what Blondes usually are (According to Jamil it is .3 - .6), and I brought this beer in on the lower end at .33.
2 pkg San Diego Super Yeast (White Labs #WLP090) - 1.5L starter
First time using this stuff. I've read that it can handle higher alcohol and has decent attenuation. That said, I've also read that peeps have had some difficulties with it, but I guess we'll see...
60 min @ 154 F (1.5 qt/lb)
Fly-sparged to 7 gallons w/ 170 F water
I had some trouble with the mash temperature. I usually have my grain in the cooler tun, and add water to it. However, this time I added the grain to the water and with 30 qts of water into a 40 qt cooler tun...yeah...it was a little tight. It did fit though (that's what she said), but the temp was low at 147 F. Because there was no more room to add hot water, I pulled off about a gallon of wort and heated it to around 180 and added back to the mashtun. This worked for the most part, but I did overshoot my temp a bit. I wanted 152, but got 154. I'll take it!
This went into the fermenter today and was pitched at 68 F degrees, and my basement is around 65 F.
When it's done, and if it's drinkable, I'll gladly share a bottle or two.