How fast did you abandon kits from the brew stores? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How fast did you abandon kits from the brew stores?

Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 AM   #1
Eat, drink, repeat
Mar 2007
Covina, CA

When I first started brewing, I definitely followed and used kits. While OK, I found them too......formula. Not very adventurous.

So, with my background as a chef, I worked to learn quickly what did what to produce what end result. Since then I love looking at other's recipes, especially if it is a new style of beer, but I'm constantly reading into it to see what I would like to make a beer more to my liking. But more then likely I am just writing it out myself.

So, after about 3 or 4 kits, I went solo.

Sez you?
Primary: McRed Irish Tail
Conditioning in bottle: Zip
Finished and drinking
: Red Tail clone - back to basics time
Up next: Red's Irish cousin
Then: Who knows

New motto (T'anks, Newguy!)
"for the love of all that is good and holy...NEVER DUMP YOUR BEER!!"

Old 11-05-2007, 03:31 AM   #2
Kevin Dean
Jul 2007
Frederick, MD
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bruscar
after about 3 or 4 kits, I went solo.
Ironically, I'm the exact opposite.

I began with a kit and hated the results, so I began going with my own recipes and buying individual ingredients to make ones I see here...

It got so expensive with such little benefit that I've been brewing kits again for the last few sessions.

Mainly, I'm brewing kits because I can expect, in some way shape and form, the end result. With that in mind. I'm using the kits to pinpoint what I like in terms of style and in terms of specific ingredients.
Free State Project liaison to the homebrew hobby!

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 11-05-2007, 03:32 AM   #3
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
Feb 2006
Eldorado, WI
Liked 148 Times on 59 Posts

I used the kit that came with the equipment that SWMBO got me, ordered one extract kit from Williams Brewing, and have been researching recipes ever since.
I like to squeeze the nickle until the buffalo craps-mt rob

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 11-05-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
Apr 2007
West Palm, FL
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

My first beer was a kit, after that AG and no kits since.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:45 AM   #5
Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts

I brewed one kit, and that was because it was free.

One of my better brews too, I must say.

However, it's just too boring to me if I can't spend the week before hand researching and pinpointing my recipe.

This upcoming Saturday will be only the second time I'm brewing something that I didn't create.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:45 AM   #6
Oct 2007
Fort Myers, FL
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

People start with kits? j/k

Though I'm a total noob, from my reading I kinda figured I'd just start with a few clone recipes from beers that I like. That way, I can modify a given recipe slightly, and gain an appreciation for how those modifications change the end product. Just like learning to cook, starting with a proven recipe is the way to go, but boxed mac-n-cheese isn't going to help you learn much beyond how to boil noodles.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:38 AM   #7
Feb 2007

I started with Mr. Beer - did that for about a year - after that I started with five gallon batches but I always just followed recipies and bought the ingredients at the LHBS

My LHBS doesn't sell kits and since I live in Hawaii buying the kits online are cost prohibitive

Old 11-05-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
Sep 2007
Cincinnati OH
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I started AG with my own recipe. But the more fermenters I get, the harder it is to keep them full. So I've got a couple kits to brew in between AG sessions now, since the time it takes is less than half.
A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
Maniacally Malty
Apr 2007
Oakland, CA
Liked 269 Times on 134 Posts

I did only a few kits (maybe 3 or 4) before i came up with my Blood Ale. After that, I pretty much made my own recipes. I still brew clones and some kits but I usually end up changing the recipe a bit.
Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

We will remember...

Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #10
Jun 2007
Bloomington, IN
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did one batch of the Mr. Beer thing.

Then, when I really got into brewing I just used recipes off the net and tweaked them a bit myself. It just seemed more interesting to me that way and like I had more control over the product.
Primary:IPA, Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Keg Conditioning:
Enjoying: Gumball Head, Belgian Wit
In the Works: