Grain shelf life in bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbrewing32

Reaction score
Hello,

If kept in a 6 gallon container in a cool, dry area how long would grain last before it starts to turn?

Kept dry it should last for months. I leave my grains sealed in their bags in my homer cheapo bucket for 3-4 weeks so far,& they're fine.

I plan on buying a 55lb bag of grain soon and I am going to do exactly what the preppers do for this kind of medium to long term storage. It' a grain, so just get a mylar bag and some oxygen absorbers; place grain in mylar bag, put in O2 absorber, seal with an iron. Done. Should be good for years stored in a cool, dark, dry place. Not saying it is going to last for years... but still - good piece of mind.

Worth mentioning too; instead of doing a big 5 gallon bucket worth of grain, I plan on breaking up the 55lb bag into 5-10lb allotments. I typically use 10lbs of base grain when I brew so just having them portioned out like that, I can just grab a bag and know that :
1) all my other grain that I am not using is still sealed for the long haul [not having to crack the seal on more grain than needed]
2) I already have a 10lb measured base grain. Just need to grind that up.

Also, when you use the mylar, you can store them in a orange HD bucket with no worries of getting chemicals leaching into the grain (at least that is my understanding after doing some research).

All this said, I have not yet done this but bought my mylar last night so maybe a couple weeks out from doing this.

I have grain in buckets with Gamma Lids. I am usually using the last of a bag at about 4-6 months. I also have specialty grains in Lock And Lock containers. Some are about a year old and by taste test they are crunchy and taste fresh.

I have some stuff that's around a year and still tastes fine. If you're concerned about it in the future, taste a few pieces before you use it. If its still crunchy and tastes good, use it.

Just keep the grain dry and if possible keep it in a container with a lid to keep the bugs out. We've kept grain in bins on the farm for several years. We still ate the bread!

Back