Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Has anyone bought a controller from electricbiab.com

Old 10-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
swem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Has anyone bought a controller from electricbiab.com

The controller is touch screen and looks really cool, the price is right, and the dude has gotten right back to every annoying question I ask via email. What am I missing here? Why havent I heard much about them?

Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
swem
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I pulled the trigger. So I guess we will see.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
Call_Me_Tex
In over his head.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Seems like a fair price for a complete system to me... give us some pictures and feedback after your first brew.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
JakeB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm anxious to see your impressions. Looks promising!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
swem
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ill deff keep you posted. I orderd the controller and his element. Not the complete kit as I have some stuff already.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
huntb
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I was looking at that too but I don't like the idea of the thermowell temperature sensor. I want a 1/2 npt temp sensor so I can have it in a T fitting

Old 10-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #7
swem
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is a thermowell less accurate?

Old 10-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
Call_Me_Tex
In over his head.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by swem View Post
Is a thermowell less accurate?
I think they just respond slower to changes in temp. That could result in PID overshoot.

Seems like with a simple change to the code the same hardware could maintain HLT temperature and control a pump for a HERMS mash control. I am, of course, assuming it could handle a second temp sensor. If the manufacturer is willing to consider a firmware change, I'd buy one to control the complicated half of my herms rig and run a simple phase angle SSR for the boil kettle.

*edit* Whatever controls the pump outlet would also have to have the ability to run PID control. That's less likely than input for a second therm probe I think.

*edit again* after more thought, it's basically a complete start over on the software to do this.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
alien
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

The main problem with thermowells is if they are too short the thermal mass of the nut, threaded adapter etc makes it slow to respond and potentially undershoots. The same is true for any other kind of probe that screws in e.g. RTDs. A long thermowell in the middle of the liquid should respond quickly.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
I was looking at that too but I don't like the idea of the thermowell temperature sensor. I want a 1/2 npt temp sensor so I can have it in a T fitting
Quote:
Originally Posted by alien View Post
The main problem with thermowells is if they are too short the thermal mass of the nut, threaded adapter etc makes it slow to respond and potentially undershoots. The same is true for any other kind of probe that screws in e.g. RTDs. A long thermowell in the middle of the liquid should respond quickly.
That all makes sense, but what you are comparing is a long/short thermowell. I think the orginal concern was that the probe supplied is a straight thermowell so you can just "screw" it into where you want to. I am getting a probe similar to that supplied and a 6mm x 1/2" NPT swaglock fitting (drilled through) to set the probe up inline with the flow.