Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Best Carbonation method without any bombs

Old 10-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Chef-Ryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Best Carbonation method without any bombs

Hey Guys, I have a Batch of Pearish (4:1 pear to apple juice 100% pure) Cider. I added honey to bring it up to 1.055-1.060 (my notes are not with me it was a slight over shot of 1.055) and Pitched it with a champagne yeast (its what I have on hand right now) and am wondering What the best method to make it carbonated without the Bottles blowing up (I kinda want to use glass since they look nicer) i see they have carbonation Tabs .. or I hit it with a small amount of sugar then bottle it. But does this work if I have cleared it? Thanks Guys and Gals

Old 10-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Randzor
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Once fermented dry(and this is the important part) go here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I personally like 2.5 or higher for the CO2 volume. On an aside, I used 1 can of apple juice concentrate to around 5 gallons of hard cider, and the carbonation turned out just about perfect. but that may mess with your ratio so not sure if you want to use it.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
Chef-Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

But If I clear the Cider(either natually or using an agent), Is there still enough yeast to allow priming to work or will I have to do it before its fully clear?

Old 10-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
Black Island Brewer
Black Island Brewing: An Ode to Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 718 Times on 405 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-Ryan View Post
But If I clear the Cider(either natually or using an agent), Is there still enough yeast to allow priming to work or will I have to do it before its fully clear?
Unless you're filtering, there will be enough yeast to carbonate. It's nice to let it drop clear or use finings, because after carbonating, you'll have less yeast on the bottom than if you bottle with yeast still in suspension.
"Oh don't give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/No, don't you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die/Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit"

Old 10-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
Chef-Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome good to know