Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #331
StubbornMuttBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default European Equivalents

My husband and I live in Germany. Before we moved here, we used to use Star-san for all out beer brewing needs. Unfortunately, it's not available here without a 3 week waiting period to arrive from the States. We've ordered it.

But in the meantime, only these products: http://www.hobbybrauerversand.de/Reinigen
and these products:
http://www.brouwland.com/en/

...seem to be available. The list of those products is below. All of them are completely unknown to us, and it's hard to find reviews and opinions by homebrewers. Where do you guys stand on their use as sanitizers or cleaners? Has anyone used them?

biostream Aseptica
Chemipro Acid
Chemopro Caustic
Chemipro Oxi
TM Desana Max fp
Eilfix Bacy-Sept Disinfecting Cleaner
Eilfix Glass Cleaner
Iodophor (That's a sanitizer, right?)
Caustic Soda
P3- Alcodes/ P3- Asepto
Potassium Sulfite
Trisodiumphosphate

Old 03-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #332
Walking_Target
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Iodophor is a sanitizer. The Chemipro Acid is likely similar to Star San but you need the ingredients before you can make that call.

Kegged - Modified Bee Cave IPA, Calypso Pale

Bottled - Brown ale, Pomegranate Mead, Orange Apfelwein

Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #333
AdamHasser
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

If I'm cleaning the equipment off with hot water and Easy Clean right after I brew, do I still need to use Star San (or similar) before I brew again? I've only done one batch and I'm getting ready to do another.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #334
IPAndy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone ever used castile soap before? Never used it myself, but it's non-detergent and we have a good deal of it.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #335
tduro
Recipes 

I've used regular clorox bleach for years, and found it to be cheap and effective. However, I'm having a harder and harder time finding it. Instead, I'm finding "Germicidal Bleach", "Splashless Bleach", "Concentrated Bleach", and others. The concentrated bleach says "do not use for sanitizing or disinfecting. For sanitizing or disinfecting, use Clorox Regular Bleach". I've searched the web, but can't find much reliable info. I'm afraid the new stuff has detergents, thickeners, surfactants, and other ingredients that might make rinsing difficult.

Has anyone gone down this road and found any info useful to a homebrewer?

Old 07-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #336
peterlonz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have used commonly available (bought at the supermarket) regular bleach for over 10 years. I then purchased a house with a swimming pool & discovered (available at the local pool shop) "liquid chlorine" which is a very strong bleach.
I can't recall now the chemical which is dissolved in water ti create this bleach but it does not matter anyway because it works great & it's a lower cost than supermarket bleach.
You will probably have to buy 5 or 10 litres, but at about $0.75 per litre that's peanuts.
Caution: This stuff is strong & will burn hole is most fabric if spilled onto your clothes undiluted. I always wear safety glasses when I use it & some very old clothes. A 50:50 dilution will yield you a strong sanitizing agent which just needs modest care to rinse away (is use cold filtered water, the hot water out of the hot tap for rinsing).
Hope that helps.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #337
5Star
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Star San Available in Europe

Hi Stubborn Mutt. Five Star products are available at some homebrew stores in Europe. This may be a faster option for getting the product than ordering it from the US. Here is a link to the UK stores that carry it http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-...d-Kingdom5.pdf

We also have stores in Sweden, Norway, Ireland and other countries that carry the products. You can find the list on the Five Star website http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/safety-supplies/

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubbornMuttBrewing View Post
My husband and I live in Germany. Before we moved here, we used to use Star-san for all out beer brewing needs. Unfortunately, it's not available here without a 3 week waiting period to arrive from the States. We've ordered it.

But in the meantime, only these products: http://www.hobbybrauerversand.de/Reinigen
and these products:
http://www.brouwland.com/en/

...seem to be available. The list of those products is below. All of them are completely unknown to us, and it's hard to find reviews and opinions by homebrewers. Where do you guys stand on their use as sanitizers or cleaners? Has anyone used them?

biostream Aseptica
Chemipro Acid
Chemopro Caustic
Chemipro Oxi
TM Desana Max fp
Eilfix Bacy-Sept Disinfecting Cleaner
Eilfix Glass Cleaner
Iodophor (That's a sanitizer, right?)
Caustic Soda
P3- Alcodes/ P3- Asepto
Potassium Sulfite
Trisodiumphosphate
Revvy Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #338
5Star
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cleaning Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg123 View Post
New here and great list. I did a search in this thread and didn't see anything but sorry in advance if I'm asking a question that's already been answer.

Are any of those cleaners/sanitizers bad for aluminum? I have an aluminum brew pot. I assume sanitizer is not required since it will be boiling the wort.
I can't speak for the other products, but PBW (Five Star's Alkali Cleanser) works really well for cleaning organic materials on aluminum. HOWEVER, aluminum is a very soft metal and PBW can scratch the surface if not completely dissolved before use. You should also lower the amount of PBW used because the metal is soft. DO NOT use Star San or Saniclean on aluminum. It will blacken the metal almost immediately. You should consider investing in stainless.

Since you are boiling, no need to sanitize, but you definitely want to remove the organic materials that are left after the boil.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #339
5Star
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default 2 Step Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHasser View Post
If I'm cleaning the equipment off with hot water and Easy Clean right after I brew, do I still need to use Star San (or similar) before I brew again? I've only done one batch and I'm getting ready to do another.
Hi Adam. We always recommend a 2 step process for brewing. Cleaning and sanitizing are not the same things, and you need to do both to ensure safety. Cleansers can loosen and remove organic materials BUT they do not kill. In order to kill you need to use a sanitizer. Whether that is a Five Star product or not, always use a sanitizer.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #340
5Star
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Star San/Saniclean Still Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsaw View Post
How long does Star-San keep? How do you know that you need to replace it?
Same question for Sani-Clean?
This seems to be a hot topic on the forum, and a question that we answer on a daily basis here in the office.

Star San High Foaming Acid Anionic
1. Star San is an effective sanitizer at 3.5 PH or below. The best method to ensure effectiveness is to check with PH strips prior to use.
2. If your Star San goes cloudy, that is an indication that the PH is rising. To combat this you can try sweetening your mix with a little more Star San. Always check the PH again prior to use.
3. If you use RO or DI water and a closed container your Star San will stay effective for a VERY long time. Highly recommended.
4. Use 50 to 120 degree Fahrenheit water
5. NO RINSE (Don't Fear the Foam!)

Saniclean Low Foaming Acid Anionic
1. Saniclean is an effective sanitizer at 3.5 PH or lower. The best method to ensure effectiveness is to check with PH strips prior to use.
2. If kept at a PH of 3.5 or below Saniclean will remain effective for a week at a time without a need for sweetening. Check the PH prior to use.
3. Use 50 to 120 degree Fahrenheit water
4. If you use RO or DI water and a closed container your Saniclean will stay effective for a VERY long time. Highly recommended.

Just remember to always test the PH prior to use and you should be good.