Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith - BeerTools - Promash. - Which is best? What do you have?
View Poll Results: Which of the big three do you use.
BeerSmith 1,125 65.22%
BeerTools Pro 157 9.10%
Promash 221 12.81%
another software 222 12.87%
Voters: 1725. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2012, 04:35 AM   #151
QuantumBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default IBrewmaster

Picked up a copy just now, hope it is good. Wanted iPad Beer Smith, but will see how I like this. Will post more once I have used it a few times.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #152
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I've had Beer Tools Pro for a few years now and it's starting to piss me off. The final gravities never seem to change which isn't that big of a deal but really gets me is when I add a fruit puree the abv doesn't budge. Doesn't matter if I add it to the mash, boil, fermenter, secondary. I can even turn the ingredient on and off altogether and the abv stays the same. It treats fruit purees as if they contain no sugar.

Also, Beer Tools Pro customer service is practically non existent. I can't find anywhere on their website to actually contact them.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #153
QuantumBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumBrewer
Picked up a copy just now, hope it is good. Wanted iPad Beer Smith, but will see how I like this. Will post more once I have used it a few times.
So far so good. Terrific support, all questions answered very quickly along with some good brewing advise! I would definitely recommend if you are looking for an iPad app to help with recipes and schedules.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #154
QuantumBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumBrewer

So far so good. Terrific support, all questions answered very quickly along with some good brewing advise! I would definitely recommend if you are looking for an iPad app to help with recipes and schedules.
Should have said iBrewmaster - software for iPad Rocks!

Old 04-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #155
noiz2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well being on a Mac I started off with Beer Alchemy. The UI is much better than anything else I have seen and I really liked using it. But it does not have a large built in database and you can't add a custom item on the fly, so after moving across the country and starting to use a lot of new grains I was constantly having to stop go to prefs and add items and then go back to creating the recipe. That was a pain. No support for BIAB. and a few other limitations that were little pestery things.

BeerSmith came out for the Mac and it solved all the things that bugged me about BeerAchemy. The UI I find much clunkier than BA but in this case I will go with function over style.

BA had been promising fixes in the next version. Then the next version changed from a point up date to a whole new version... BUT it only will run on Lion (the very latest version of Mac OS) and that won't run on the laptop I use for brewing.

Why would brewing software need the latest OS?, who's main selling point is you can tweet from any app? Seems Apple is putting a LOT of pressure on developers to move on and basically if you want to sell through the app store you pretty much have to drop support for earlier OS's.

Anyway that killed it and BeerSmith is my new best friend.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #156
ScrewyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I started off using qBrew and still use it, although I have tried a lot of other applications and web sites I like qBrew the best because it's just so accurate and easy to use. Over the years I keep adding new ingredients to the database like the latest yeast, hop and malts as they become available. You can get the free download here Screwy's Brewing Tools And Formulas

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 06-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #157
newbrewer2012
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkristofo View Post
The results might be skewed by Mac users, because only one of our software options (BTP) is up on that list.
Doing some searching...as of version 2.1 BeerSmith is available for the Mac. I think I'm going to download the free trial and see how it runs on the Mac.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #158
mwdoher
Recipes 

Default BeerSmith for Mac is great. Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbrewer2012 View Post
Doing some searching...as of version 2.1 BeerSmith is available for the Mac. I think I'm going to download the free trial and see how it runs on the Mac.
I have it for the Mac - and everything is fantastic. Even in the most recent upgrade (with the new cloud component), it's seamless. You'll be happy. I have this and iBrewmaster (for the iPad/iPhone), and this is great. I still use iB when I'm out and have an "aha!" moment, but I plug it all into Beersmith when I get home. The reporting, brew sheets, etc. are great for making brew day a lot less chaotic, especially for brews with lots and lots of complications (like multi-stage mashes, numerous hop additions, etc.).

Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #159
Shults
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I brew 380 liters on my system. Does Beersmith support the conversions to any size batch?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #160
DeNovo
Recipes 

Default BTP & Mountain Lion 10.8?

So, has anyone run BeerTools Pro under Mac OS 10.8 yet? How about a report?