Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Tea Bags???

Old 10-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
thelozmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tea Bags???

Hi I'm very new to wine making and still trying to get my head around the do's and don't of wine making. I have successfully made made 3 "kit wines" but I'm planning on making a wine from scratch as my next project.

I have read a lot of forums to get some ideas and there is a lot of recipes that include tea bags,,,, I was just wondering how/why a teabag would be used??

Old 10-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
woodster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelozmeister View Post
Hi I'm very new to wine making and still trying to get my head around the do's and don't of wine making. I have successfully made made 3 "kit wines" but I'm planning on making a wine from scratch as my next project.

I have read a lot of forums to get some ideas and there is a lot of recipes that include tea bags,,,, I was just wondering how/why a teabag would be used??
I've read that it has to do with adding natural "tannins".

Old 10-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The reason for tea bags or brewed tea is the same reasons for using grape tannin or other tannin extracts. It helps provide a better mouthfeel while also adding a little bitter to help compliment flavors. I enjoy using black tea in my wines and mead. I use anywhere from 1 tsp to 1 tbs per gallon of loose leaf tea in the primary. 1 tea bag is about 1 tsp.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
oxpajama
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Tea bags are an alternative to powdered grape tannins. Tannins are important in wine not only do they provide structure but play a big role in the wine aging process.

Here are some links
http://winemakermag.com/1045-tannin-...try-techniques
http://byo.com/stories/item/305-brew...ng-polyphenols
http://winemakermag.com/677-the-phenol-phenomenon