Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #741
lopaka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm on my 10th batch and though I'd post my addition to this thread. I brewed a Caramel Stout and per recipe used 1 wyeast german ale smack pack for 5 gal batch. I did not do a starter since I hadn't read this thread and didn't no better. I used dry yeasts in all my prior batches. Started getting worried at 2 days with no airlock activity. Read this thread and let it sit. More worried at 4 days but still left it alone. I started the batch Sunday and this morning (Friday), the airlock is going like crazy and even had a little overflow I had to clean up

Definitely pays to read up, and be patient.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #742
grem135
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepBrew View Post
@grem135;

When in doubt take a hydrometer reading and have a taste.
ok after a week I'm at .008 and taste is ..ok but a little harsh. I assume it smooths out in the bottle conditioning stage?
btw OG was 042 (spec says 045-049) FG is 008 (spec says 011-015) both are 003 low so maybe a bit of calibration error on my hydrometer? Or maybe my eyes just just a bit off LOL

Old 05-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #743
JeepBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

@grem135

So you've made beer! The flavor will change over time. Some elements will soften, others will become more pronounced. Over the next 3-5 weeks it will stabilize somewhat. Pour a glass and Enjoy the journey.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #744
grem135
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepBrew View Post
@grem135

So you've made beer! The flavor will change over time. Some elements will soften, others will become more pronounced. Over the next 3-5 weeks it will stabilize somewhat. Pour a glass and Enjoy the journey.
Its driving me crazy having to wait, and Im running out of store bought stuff.
I have been reading as many of the posts as I can in the beginners beer brewing thread... and from some of the questions and pics I see I'm glad i have read them.

Thanks for your help I will do my best to RDWHAHB

Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #745
Monte
Recipes 

Just thought I'd share my experience as well, and give props to this thread for appeasing my worries and not rushing and doing something stupid.

I just brewed my first batch in a new setup (stainless fermenter). I used a Wyeast smack pack, let it sit out in slightly warm room temperature for 3-4 hours after activating, then also created a starter with it and had it whirring on a stir plate for a full 24 hours. Pitched it in right around 70 degrees, and had it level off in the fermenter with a Pale Rye Ale between 70-72 degrees. I felt like I did everything possible to ensure a good start for the yeast, and was expecting fairly immediate action. It took almost 3 full days. After that, it was a firestorm of activity, and luckily I had a blowoff tube in place. It churned like nuts for just a few days, then settled down to almost no activity. Took a sample--smelled great, and the SG has dropped within a few points of FG, and has just gone into secondary, so I think it'll be just fine.
On the other side, I then brewed an oatmeal stout into my standard plastic carboy, and that bad boy was fermenting aggressively in just a few hours. Same methods, same temp, same storage location.

There are so many variables that can drive different responses, it's tough to account for them all and accurately predict. Patience is one that I'm not well-versed in, but thanks to this and other threads, I kept the faith, and it seems to be working out ok so far...
In Secondary: 60-minute IPA
In Primary: Black Cherry Stout
On deck: ???

Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #746
slatkin
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed a Brewers Best Dunkelweizen Sunday morning and within 4 hours had bubbles every 3 to 4 seconds and within 8 hours constant bubbling. Tuesday morning it is down to every 20 seconds or so. I used dry yeast that came with the kit and hydrated it. Fastest I have ever seen and first time to have blow-off in airlock. It is in a 6.5 true brew bucket so plenty of head space. Is this normal? Cool as h*ll none the less.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #747
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 108

@slatkin
What was your starting gravity and what temperature was your fermentation at?

It sounds normal none the less but if your temp was higher than ideal, the yeast could have chewed through a bulk of the sugars faster than expected.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #748
slatkin
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The O.G. was 1.046 (without adj for temp). The room temp was 71deg. Mpre than likely the temp thing you mention. I cooled the wort to about 85 then added the rest of the water from the tap and pitched my yeast. What temp should a dunkelweizen strive for? Thanks for the reply. Y'all are a big help to the uneducated.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #749
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I couldn't tell you what your ideal temp would be but 70* is towards the high end for many ale yeasts, not a problem though. The ideal temp depends on the yeast strain and if you are looking for any specific esters/off flavors. Did you brew from a kit? Many times kits will tell you what temp you should ferment at.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:51 AM   #750
kevin009
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Oh thanks for the information.

- Swami Sivananda