Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #631
bleme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 39

@NBasseur The airlock is a pretty poor measure of fermentation, but if you insist on not paying for a hydrometer, time the bubbles until you are getting less than 1 a minute. It should be safe to bottle 2 week later.

@Walzenbrew Lots of people over pitch and make fine beer. The main side effect I have heard is that you are shortening the reproductive phase and you will have fewer esters, which may or may not be desirable depending on your taste in brew.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #632
gunny2005
Recipes 

I made an ale recipie using white labs liquid pacific ale yeast and I swore I had a stuck ferment. I didn't see anything for days. I checked the fermenter, and sure enough it was fermenting but very slowly. I looked into it and re-arranged things in the brewery to raise the temperature on the fermenter, and I pitched a starter for the second batch. After a day there was visible fermentation and I was satisfied. I also got on the white labs web site and found a great yeast profile chart for all their strains. It lists the characteristics for each strain and how they behave, I unknowingly chose a strain that behaved badly, admitedly by the lab. I am going to stay with this strain since I found how to work with it. I was pleased to see that the lab has details about the strains, gotta love the internet!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #633
travis87
Recipes 

Completed my first ever home brew last night - a 1 gallon batch of Everyday IPA from Brooklyn Brewshop. After pitching and setting up my blow off, I had a very slow but steady bubbling a few hours later and again this morning before work. However, I returned from work today and no bubbles! It's in a kitchen cupboard and the thermostat 15 feet away read 72F when I got home.

The only problem I had was the sparge. I poured all my mash through a strainer and collected a good 1 to 1.5 quarts of wort, but the strainer wasn't big enough to hold all the mash. So, I filled the strainer with as much mash as possible (about half the total volume) and poured my sparge water through it. I started the boil with about 5 quarts and by the end of a 60 minute boil had my gallon of wort. I let it cool to 70F, poured it through a strainer into a funnel and into my 1 gallon jug. I pitched the yeast, put a screw cap on the jug, and shook the crap out of it. Everything - all pots, pans, utensils, caps, tubing, etc. - was sanitized and allowed to air dry for 24 hours.

So, am I worried over nothing?

Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #634
ScoRas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Travis - was that a mini all-grain kit? That sounds interesting. Did you measure the starting gravity of the wort with a hydrometer?

And yes, give it more time before worrying about fermentation. As the thread says, it can take 72 hours!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #635
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis87 View Post
Completed my first ever home brew last night - a 1 gallon batch of Everyday IPA from Brooklyn Brewshop. After pitching and setting up my blow off, I had a very slow but steady bubbling a few hours later and again this morning before work. However, I returned from work today and no bubbles! It's in a kitchen cupboard and the thermostat 15 feet away read 72F when I got home.
How much yeast did you pitch? Very likely your fermentation is done, especially if you pitched a full vial/smackpack/11g pack of dry yeast. Doesn't take that many yeast long to chew through a gallon, especially at ambient temps of 72, which means you may have been mid to upper 70s during active fermentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis87 View Post
So, am I worried over nothing?
Probably.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #636
travis87
Recipes 

double post...sorry

Old 02-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #637
travis87
Recipes 

double post...sorry

Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #638
travis87
Recipes 

Ok, I'm gonna attempt to post this for the third time! I have no idea what's going on, but I tried once from my phone and once from my computer earlier today but apparently neither one worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoRas View Post
Travis - was that a mini all-grain kit? That sounds interesting. Did you measure the starting gravity of the wort with a hydrometer?

And yes, give it more time before worrying about fermentation. As the thread says, it can take 72 hours!
Uh, noob response - "I don't know?" What do you mean by all-grain? Here's a link to the mix from Brooklyn Brew Shop - http://brooklynbrewshop.com/1-gallon...eryday-ipa-mix

As for the gravity measurement...didn't take one. I didn't even purchase a hydrometer to start because I didn't really think I needed one the first go around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
How much yeast did you pitch? Very likely your fermentation is done, especially if you pitched a full vial/smackpack/11g pack of dry yeast. Doesn't take that many yeast long to chew through a gallon, especially at ambient temps of 72, which means you may have been mid to upper 70s during active fermentation.
It was a pre-measured little packet that was included with the mix. There were no measurements marked on it, but I'd guess maybe 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon. It was about a 2" by 2" packet was all.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 AM   #639
Tkelly32
Recipes 

Too early to worry about anything, but I just pitched some liquid Wehenstephen in this Hefe batch 2 hours ago, usually I see activity by now, I see nothing, as well this looks low to be 5 gallons (6.5 gallon carboy), it was over 5 gallons by my measurements in the brew kettle should I be worried?... I really hope I start to see something because I was geeked off my OG (target 1.050, ended up at 1.049) and the color of this brew.
Click image for larger version

Name:	photobeer.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	49308  

Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #640
Tkelly32
Recipes 

Update, the beer pictured above just started to gas, I can hear it (3 hours 45 minutes in). It is slower than I am used to, but I believe as I slumber it will pick up. I'll let you know, lets hope for the best!