Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:14 AM   #431
Tourney3p0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I really wish subscription settings were turned off when a thread is moved here.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #432
Neco
Recipes 

Default No sign, no worries

I was going to start a thread asking about fermentation signs, and low-and-behold the first thing I read supplied my answer. Just like my first batch a few months ago, this batch is slow to produce fermentation bubbles. It's been about 48 hours so far. The only problem is I leave for a short vacation Wednesday morning. I've been told I can simply put the fermenting bucket in a refrigerator to stop the action, and take it out and resume fermenting when I get home in four days. Wutchya think?

Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #433
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neco View Post
I was going to start a thread asking about fermentation signs, and low-and-behold the first thing I read supplied my answer. Just like my first batch a few months ago, this batch is slow to produce fermentation bubbles. It's been about 48 hours so far. The only problem is I leave for a short vacation Wednesday morning. I've been told I can simply put the fermenting bucket in a refrigerator to stop the action, and take it out and resume fermenting when I get home in four days. Wutchya think?
Four days? Go on vacation and drink beer without worrying. Your beer will be happy you left it alone. Go on vacation for several weeks. Your beer will wait for you. It might even be happy that you left it alone.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #434
ChickenBeer
Recipes 

Yeah, I know that I was the same person worried about fermentation before as well but I have never had great success with putting a batch in the fridge and then trying to give it CPR when i got back in town. I would leave it go.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #435
JBZSTL
Recipes 

It has been 18 hours since I pitched my yeast and no airlock activity (I know this is not necessarily a sign that there is no fermentation). I opened the lid and found a good amount of krausen indicating some fermentation. Any reason why there is no airlock activity? I checked the lid and it seemed to be tight. It is not the same lid that came with the bucket but it seems tight enough.

Still too early to worry much and I believe things are good due to the fact that there is krausen on top of the wort. Is my thinking correct?

Old 11-26-2010, 02:42 AM   #436
evo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZSTL View Post
It has been 18 hours since I pitched my yeast and no airlock activity (I know this is not necessarily a sign that there is no fermentation). I opened the lid and found a good amount of krausen indicating some fermentation. Any reason why there is no airlock activity? I checked the lid and it seemed to be tight. It is not the same lid that came with the bucket but it seems tight enough.

Still too early to worry much and I believe things are good due to the fact that there is krausen on top of the wort. Is my thinking correct?
the lid i have is so tight that it took me a good 15 min to pry it off. if u got krausen i wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #437
Neco
Recipes 

Default Jbzstl

Hi JBZSTL

I'm working on mt second batch, though my first batch did the same thing and turned out really well, (according to my snobby beer friend). I had no action in the airlock for three or so days, then a day or two of bubbles. I bottled after six days and let set four a week before cracking open the first bottle. Second bottle opened after two weeks was right on, (for my limited experience, and , of course my snobby friend!)

Old 11-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #438
jimwright
Recipes 

I'm on my first batch and I'm 4 days in and there is still little to no airlock activity, but I took a sample out yesterday and checked the gravity and it has definitely gone down so I'm optimistic.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #439
mixedbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have freaked out over no airlock activity before... and it turns out that it wasn't seated properly. Oops! And I thought my yeast was bad. Silly me. When using a plastic lid / grommet set-up, always make sure your airlock is working before you walk away. The little black o-ring wears out after a while.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #440
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I have been making wine for about 10 yrs and finally have decided to try making some of my own beer. Actually my wife got me a kit for our anniversary. Aren't I a lucky guy?? So far I have made a Red Ale, which is conditioning in bottles and I just pitched a oktoberfest about 64 hours ago. I have a heated garage and decide that I am going to lager this bad boy. The only problem is its not visibly ferementing at this point. No airlock and no visible bubbles or foam at the top of the wort. I followed the directions on the brewers best kit and stirred the dry yeast directly into the wort at around 55-60 degrees. i aerated it pretty good and put it out in my garage which is holding stready between 54-57 degrees. Should I be getting worried? I have 2 supply stores nearby and one guy told me to bring it inside to warm and get the yeast active, then put it back outside. The other guy said wait another day and then put a belt warmer around it if it hasnt started. The kit says the yeast will work as an ale, but I really want to lager it. Do I just need to be more patient??

Also, what is the process in making a starter, which I now know probably would have reduced this lag time?