"light" Christmas type brew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's the story; Every time I make yet another batch of outstanding homebrew and give one to my son, he says, "pretty good, but its too dark for my taste".
WTH? I gave him a blonde once that was too dark? He like brewing, in fact he's the one that got me into this addiction, er, uh, hobby.
With the approach of the holidays, is there a Holiday/Christmas type brew out there that falls into the "light" family? I'd love to make something that he loves, but he just can't get into stouts, browns, really anything heavy.

Any help would be most appreciated!

And, as always, :mug:

If a blonde was too dark for him,you're in trouble. Sounds like a BMC addict. If he likes brewing,what does he like?

For the holiday season I think darker and maltier, not light. early fall=Oktoberfest. Then pumpkin beers and stouts and spiced winter warmers and old ales. If blonde is too dark, just buy him a case of natty.

It could be a great experience to do a pale malt mix with spices. I was reading a thread earlier today on beers with a SG under 1.030 finishing at about 3% ABV. Perhaps check that out and see if you can't combine a recipe with spices.

Yeah... seems like winter beers need to feel "warming" in some way, and if maltiness and roastiness and whatnot are out, go for the booze. I can see a light-colored, lightly-spiced tripel at 10% or 12% being quite effective at taking the chill off.

He says he really likes a good Kolsch, however the first Kolsch he made, he left in the primary for 6 months! It wasn't very good, but I didn't have the heart to tell him, I just said it was a good first try...
Is there a "Christmas" Kolsch?

Back