Are there any professional Brewers here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fightguy

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing how you like it there. What are the best/worst things about working at your brewery? Do you get any "special perks"?

Thanks!

I started as the Asst. Brewer at a small brew pub in Billings, MT last August. It's great. It's not a full time job (it only takes about 1.5 people to keep it running smoothly) and it doesn't pay that well. But i'm not there to make a career out of it. It's more of a nice break from the other two jobs. I've been waiting tables and bar tending there for almost 2 years, and I'm also a flight instructor for one of the colleges here.

It's been a great learning experience, and really made me comfortable with my home brewing practices.

Tip:

Find something you like and doo it well then you don't need more than one job. Everything else is a hobby. I see way too many people knocking themselves out trying to make ends meet with a bunch of meaningless jobs because they refuse to devote themself to one thing they doo well.

Flight instructors usually have at least one other job for suplemental income. Instructing is normally only done to build hours in hopes of getting an airline job-MTpilot is probably biding his time till his hours are up.

I remember spending 12 hour days at the airport and only flying 4 - 6 hours, at $10 an hour that isn't much to support yourself on.

I work at a brewery and all I can say is, "Why couldn't this have happened sooner?!"

I smile every day going in to work and smile each day as I leave. It's like homebrewing on steroids. If you truly LOVE brewing and I don't mean you like producing cheap alcohol, but feel it's still a chore, then you'll like brewing full time.

The money wasn't good at first, but there's tons of overtime and I got a raise after 3 months, so now things are good.

Perks? Oh yeah...between my homebrew (yes, I still homebrew. I LOVE it, remember?) and what I take home for free from the brewery, I haven't had to buy any beer since I've worked there.

Any questions?

:drunk:

Spyk'd, you are a truly lucky person. Enjoy what you do, and look forward to working everyday. I hope to be in that position someday, but right now I have 8 mouths to feed, but in 4 1/2 yrs I will have the option to be a bit more choosy with what I do.

Spyk'd said:
I work at a brewery and all I can say is, "Why couldn't this have happened sooner?!"

I smile every day going in to work and smile each day as I leave. It's like homebrewing on steroids. If you truly LOVE brewing and I don't mean you like producing cheap alcohol, but feel it's still a chore, then you'll like brewing full time.

The money wasn't good at first, but there's tons of overtime and I got a raise after 3 months, so now things are good.

Perks? Oh yeah...between my homebrew (yes, I still homebrew. I LOVE it, remember?) and what I take home for free from the brewery, I haven't had to buy any beer since I've worked there.

Any questions?

:drunk:
Yes. Do you remember what kind of questions that they asked you in your interview? I feel totally unprepared for it because I am a relative novice in homebrewing and have never worked in this field before. Any information you could give would be greatly appreciated!

I wish that I lived in a state with alcohol laws that made since. I would love to have a small brewpub in my town. I would volunteer and work for free.

fightguy said:
Yes. Do you remember what kind of questions that they asked you in your interview? I feel totally unprepared for it because I am a relative novice in homebrewing and have never worked in this field before. Any information you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Seeing as I was going for a management position, we focussed on my management experience and skills. Noticed how I said "we"? Remember, you control the flow of an interview as much as the interviewers. As soon as they are finished with their question, you have the floor. Steer all questions to your strengths. This also comes across as confidence.

It did help that I have been homebrewing for 6 years and could keep up with all of their brewing questions. I think I even stumped/impressed them with my knowledge on a few things. Do your homework!

I guess the most important thing that helped me was that I researched the company (homework again) and made it clear that I was ready to make a committment to them to improve the company and work in any capacity, doing any job (and I did!).

Something I witnessed but never tried is bringing a notebook into the interview and take notes. Almost like YOU'RE interviewing THEM.

The bottom line is, if you are ready to breathe, eat, sweat, and dream about beer, then go for it. Make all sacrifices necessary and make it known to the company that you are willing to make those sacrifices and you'll get it.

Hope this helps!

:mug:

I'm not even sure how I did that? musta been one of those similar/sugested threads at the bottom of the page? Sorry :embarrassed:

I did get the job, but I had to turn it down because my wife got accepted to Dental School in Arizona. I told them that as much as I would love to work there, I would be moving out of state in a few months. :(

They appreciated my honesty, but didn't want to spend the time training me if I was going to be moving on shortly thereafter.

It was tough, but I had to make the sacrifice for my wife

This thread is so old, my wife is only 1.5 years away from being a dentist! LOL

I did get the job, but I had to turn it down because my wife got accepted to Dental School in Arizona. I told them that as much as I would love to work there, I would be moving out of state in a few months. :(

They appreciated my honesty, but didn't want to spend the time training me if I was going to be moving on shortly thereafter.

It was tough, but I had to make the sacrifice for my wife

This thread is so old, my wife is only 1.5 years away from being a dentist! LOL

Thanks for the post script.

Back