Questions on Liquid Yeast - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Questions on Liquid Yeast

Old 10-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Liked 1504 Times on 1242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydster View Post
I assume you just left out the number, but just to avoid confusion for a new brewer, there are roughly 100 billion cells in a fresh pack or vial.
OOPs! You are right!

Proof reading would lead to a lot less confusion...

Old 10-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
ZenFitness
Recipes 

Sep 2013
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
This^^^^^^^, except that a factory-fresh vial contains the 100 billion cells previously mentioned.

Also, when using liquid yeast, it's very important to thoroughly aerate the wort prior to pitching. Much more significant than when using dry yeast (which comes packaged with its own sterols). Don't skip this step.
Would pouring the chilled wort into a carboy accomplish this, or perhaps a good shake of the carboy? Or is an O2 wand necessary?

Old 10-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #13
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Tyler, Texas
Liked 759 Times on 652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenFitness View Post
Would pouring the chilled wort into a carboy accomplish this,
Not really. Some people report using a couple of containers, pouring back and forth repeatedly to aerate.

Quote:
or perhaps a good shake of the carboy?
If you have some good muscles. You have to shake it for a while.

Quote:
Or is an O2 wand necessary?
Well, that's a matter of opinion. It's more significant for lagers than ales. The O2 bubblers are probably a minority of the homebrew community. I've been doing it since a nice friend gave me a full O2 tank. All I had to buy was a simple reg (that controls flow), tubing and 0.5 micron stainless stone. There are several other methods (like a stirring stick attached to a drill, etc.) that will help raise the dissolved O2 level which the yeast need to reproduce.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
ZenFitness
Recipes 

Sep 2013
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks man, I appreciate the help. Nice to see a fellow Texan (I'm in McKinney, far north Dallas).

I'm confident I can pick up and shake a full five gallons of wort in a carboy... if that is the case, how long do I need to shake it? 30 seconds to a minute or so?

Sorry... I'm a noob at this and still learning.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:32 AM   #15
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Tyler, Texas
Liked 759 Times on 652 Posts

Quote:
Thanks man, I appreciate the help. Nice to see a fellow Texan (I'm in McKinney, far north Dallas).

I'm confident I can pick up and shake a full five gallons of wort in a carboy... if that is the case, how long do I need to shake it? 30 seconds to a minute or so?

Sorry... I'm a noob at this and still learning.
I defer to those who shake carboys to answer this one.

Ahhhh, McKinney. Home of Franconia Brewing. I'm afraid that, if I lived there, I'd have to drop in for the Saturday morning tour all too often. Their dunkel and amber are both first-rate brews. Dennis Wehrman (graduate of the the Doemens Brewmasterschool in Munich) really knows his stuff.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #16
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Liked 1504 Times on 1242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
I defer to those who shake carboys to answer this one.

Ahhhh, McKinney. Home of Franconia Brewing. I'm afraid that, if I lived there, I'd have to drop in for the Saturday morning tour all too often. Their dunkel and amber are both first-rate brews. Dennis Wehrman (graduate of the the Doemens Brewmasterschool in Munich) really knows his stuff.
I use Better Bottles. There is an indent on the bottom that is the perfect size for a baseball or tennis ball. I just shake the snot out of it for a few minutes. It has worked so far.

Maybe someday when I have spare $$ I will go to O2.

I would be careful picking up a carboy and shaking it. Minimum = strained back, worst is another disaster thread.