Trader Joe's Double Bock - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Trader Joe's Double Bock
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 10-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Halbrust
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Upland, CA
Liked 67 Times on 55 Posts

Just had one of these over the weekend. It was called a Winter Brew, and said it was a double bock.

For those of you who have had it before: Was it a decent representation of the style?

I had two TJ beers, the Winter Brew and a Dunkelweisse. The wheat beer was way too roasty in my opinion. It drifted into porter territory with the burnt toast taste.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
unionrdr
Author?,...whaaa?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3510 Times on 3020 Posts

I'll have to get over to Trader Joe's in Westlake & see how it is. Haven't had that one yet.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
forstmeister
Recipes 

May 2011
Chicago, IL
Liked 182 Times on 138 Posts

Any idea who makes it? Their annual Vintage Ale is made by Unibroue and is a delicious Belgian dark strong ale.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
unionrdr
Author?,...whaaa?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3510 Times on 3020 Posts

Paulaner sells the famous Salvator Doppelbock from Germany. The Salvatoran monks made & sold it in the middle ages. Try that one,I love it. I like the bottles too,they delabel in about an hour in PBW. The older Paulaner bottles had bearded monks around the shoulder of the bottle. I jelously guard those,as the embossing has been discontinued.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
signpost
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Berkley, Michigan
Liked 142 Times on 121 Posts

I'll have to look for that one. I didn't see it the last time I stopped in a TJ.

I know Firestone-Walker makes some of the Trader Joe's beers. The Mission St. ones, I think. And like somebody said, Unibroue makes their holiday vintage beers.

All of their store brand beers are no joke and super good deals. They get legit breweries to make the beer for them.

I also like their Botswain line. Especially the HLV (heavy lift vessel) ale. Not sure what style that one is, but something british. The double IPA isn't my favorite, though. I think that line is brewed by Minhas Brewing.
Fermenting - Oat No! (an Oat Wine); Signpost Old Ale; Chris' Tall Ale 2.0; SSB (Signpost Sour Blonde); County Western (a dark sour) Bottled - Ol' Bitter Bastard; Chris' Tall Ale; 4 small batch sour blends - 1 w/ cherries and 1 w/ peaches; Back To School Porter w/cacao & vanilla; Signpost Creek Paint Cider; Signpost Oud Bruin; Land of Pils and Honey, Imp. Saison with Clover Honey; Ad Hoc Berliner Weisse Kegged - Ol' Bitter Bastard; Legacy Pale Ale

Old 10-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
TyTanium
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 553 Times on 389 Posts

TJ house brands are my go-to commerical beers. Just over $1 per bottle for Firestone Walker-brewed pale ale & IPA? Yes please.

I think Gordon Biersch brews their "Joseph's Brau" line which are all pretty good.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Tustin, CA
Liked 78 Times on 67 Posts

I'm with you on the TJ's beer. Certainly not world class brews, but I think its some of the best cheap beer you can find. I just had a bomber of HLV over the weekend. I haven't found a bottle that has an easier label to remove than either the Botswain or the Mission street 22oz bottles, even just a quick hot water soak will pull the label right off.