What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melana

Up to no good....
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Apple pie.....

image-1989185782.jpg

Fancy lookin pie there! We got one of those lil amish machines that peels,cores,& slices the apple all at once. Cut that spiral sliced now naked apple in half,& start pilin them up with seasoned sugar.

unionrdr said:
Fancy lookin pie there! We got one of those lil amish machines that peels,cores,& slices the apple all at once. Cut that spiral sliced now naked apple in half,& start pilin them up with seasoned sugar.

See, I don't like using those to cut the apples for pie.... I have one. The slices when uneven create a better filling IMHO.

Thanks!

I do keep a starter going. Most of the bread I bake is made sans recipe. Send me a PM with your off forum email and I'll send you the document I put together regarding keeping sourdough.

Awesome looking pie & bread Melana! That pie has my mouth watering, right now the best I can do to satisfy my tastebuds is a cuppa & cinamon/apple oatmeal.
Do you serve your apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese?
Regards, GF.

No, I'm not a fan of cheese with my apple pie. Any visitors are welcome to it (i've always got some Cabot Super Sharp on hand).

I made Zuppa Toscana (Ala Olive Garden) for the wife when the kids and I made a run to Indiana for the Feast of the Hunters Moon this weekend. I also made a crumb top apple pie. No pictures.

Yesterday made Beef Veggie soup the cheatin way. (Canned veggies were on sale!) But at least I used real potatoes...

I made Zuppa Toscana (Ala Olive Garden) for the wife when the kids and I made a run to Indiana for the Feast of the Hunters Moon this weekend. I also made a crumb top apple pie. No pictures.

Yesterday made Beef Veggie soup the cheatin way. (Canned veggies were on sale!) But at least I used real potatoes...

Sounds yummy!

Did you do a lye wash to help get the color? I've been doing baking soda with mine but I hear lye is the way to get a more genuine German pretzel flavor and color.

The first pretzel recipe I ever made was from the Food Network and I still stay pretty close to it because they come out great: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-soft-pretzels-recipe/index.html

I use bread flour instead of all purpose, honey instead of table sugar, and I knead it by hand instead of with a machine. Sometimes I sub out the water for beer. Also give it a 2-hour rise (or longer if you refrigerate the dough) instead of the ~1hr it says - the flavor is more betterer that way. I'll be making some sourdough pretzels soon, thanks to Melana :D

Roasted garlic Parmesan

Now that's got my attention!

I've been curing a whole pork belly, did half as Pancetta and half Chinese style. The Chinese style was ready to cook this weekend, the pancetta will be rolled and hung later this week, then it needs a few weeks to cure.

As for pretzels, I've had great results from the King Arthur website's recipe's. I've also made their pretzel bun recipe and that was a winner. I can't bring myself to use lye on something I'm eating, I know it's dumb, but there you have it.

I use baking soda and do hear those reviews about lye

If you use lye, be aware that it will leave discolorations on your pans or sheets.
I use lye and it does leave a really nice glossy crust to them.

My wife is still pissed about the pretzel shapes on all the new cookie sheets.

I can't wait til I have something to contribute to this thread.

passedpawn said:
If you use lye, be aware that it will leave discolorations on your pans or sheets.
I use lye and it does leave a really nice glossy crust to them.

My wife is still pissed about the pretzel shapes on all the new cookie sheets.

I can't wait til I have something to contribute to this thread.

Use parchment.... It avoids that problem.

Where did you buy the lye? Why was it difficult to type 'buy the lye'?

Back