Originally Posted by Urkelbot
I just made a huckleberry mead, or started anyway. I used 3 lb wildflower honey in 1 gallon and standard yeast nutrient with d47. I picked my huckleberries around mt hood I'm Oregon and the berries were plump and delicious. I only had 2 lbs to add to secondary because I used about a lb making jam. Hopefully it will be enough to impart some huckleberry flavor. The jam is awesome but I wish I had picked a couple more lbs.
See, having just read your comment, I had to google them. So they are available here, but a little more infrequently.
D47 is Ok but I wouldn't have used it, as it's better for "whites" and also carries the caveat that it needs to be fermented below 70F/21C, otherwise it's known to produce fusels, which can take a long time, if ever, to mellow out.
A better choice would have been RC-212 which is better for "reds", but it's a bit of a nutrient hog, so has to be watched to make sure you don't get any H2S/rotten eggy smells - but it does an excellent job. The 71B I've already alluded to is one that needs to be racked off the lees/sediment within about 2 months of the ferment finishing, as it's not known to be good for ageing on the lees a.k.a. sur lie ageing/batonage......
finally K1-V1116 would also do a good job, as it's a robust yeast and has the "K"/killer designation and would stop the issue of any possible wild yeast issue/presence by becoming the dominant yeast - it's an 18% yeast too so would likely ferment dry and need back sweetening.
There's a few others too, but they're harder to get (the above ones are part of Lalvins "usual suspects", available in home brew sized packs). So I won't bother mentioning those.......
If you've added or going to add, to secondary, you will find that you retain much more of a fruity taste, especially if you add them to secondary and then add the appropriate amount of pectic enzyme (pectolase here) to the brew. Not only does it help by sorting out any possible pectin hazes, but also with flavour and colour extraction........