Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bocus97

Reaction score
I was cooking up a batch of irish stout (brewers best kit) and everything was going great figured out that when I thought I put the Malto Dex in I put the Priming suger in. I went ahead and put the Malto Dex in at that point and plan to buy a new packet of priming suger. Does anyone think this is going to hurt anything other then possible being a little sweet when I drink it??
one of you that may have made this same mistake please let me know if I should scrap the whole batch or if I should just deal with the sweetness.
Barry in MI

Don't scrap the batch!

Adding that small amount of sugar isn't going to do a thing to ruin your beer. Think about it; you were going to add it anyway when you bottled. :D

Your priming sugar was most likely dextrose, which ferments out almost completely so it leaves no residual flavour. If you added a pound or so it would make the beer seem thin but since you probably added only a few ounces it really doesn't matter. Enjoy the stout! :mug:

Thanks for the info I wasn't sure if it was going to hurt anything or not. I figured it might be just a little sweet if anything. I broke one of the major rules and didn't relax and take my time to enjoy the whole process and made my mistake but oh well. I bet it gets drank anyway. No one will know except me unless I get drunk and tell them anyway. Barry in MI

Don't worry, If you added one pound of Sugar to the boil in a 5 gallon batch, that probably raised your starting gravity by .009 and if it ferments all the way out (as it should), that will raise you ABV by about 1.17%. Cheers.

That's the same kit I started with, 3 weeks ago.. Mine is great so far, but needs more bottle time..
With everyone saying the sugar won't hurt, believe it..
Enjoy your Irish.. :mug:

If he added the pre-packed priming sugar, it was more like a cup. It won't add any sweetness. It will all ferment and add just a little bit of alchohol. Like kegerator said even a pound of sugar would ferment, but would not add sweetness. Fermenting sugar from grains makes better beer than fermenting processed sugar though. I don't want the new guy to think he found a shortcut to higher ABV%.

No big deal Barry. Just get more priming sugar for bottling time.

Keep reading here and you will learn a lot!

Back