Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > PicoBrew Zymatic

Old 10-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #11
jpalarchio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think there's probably a market for these systems if they can produce reasonably good beer and aren't an absolute pain to clean and maintain.

That said, the market is probably not anyone that frequents this forum.

The 3 gallon keg on this one is smart as people could just toss it in their fridge when it's ready to serve; not sure what the plan is for fermentation control though.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:48 AM   #12
BeerGrylls
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalarchio View Post
the market is probably not anyone that frequents this forum.
I was thinking that exactly.. When the Keurig was just a proof-of-concept, the market wasn't people who roast their own beans. That doesn't mean it isn't a fantastic piece of equipment and a market success.

superdave12 Likes This 
Old 10-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #13
FuzzeWuzze
DIY King
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphillips View Post
Brewing is a labor of love. If you don't enjoy the process, then that's fine, but homebrewing might not be for you. I'll admit that the sanitizing process can get a little grueling (especially the bottles), but personally, I don't want to "Set it and forget it." I love the mixing, controlling the temp, stirring in the malts, tasting the wart, changing my mind and adding sh!t to the secondary...it's a beautiful thing.

Is it a cool idea? Very much so. Will it take off? I can't see it. My only real gripe with it is that it appears as though you can only do a couple gallons at a time. What if I want 10 gallons of beer? Do I run 2, 5 gallon batches? I guess there are some brewers who will only ever brew 5 gallon batches, but that's not me.

And what about the price? Lets say, hypothetically, that one of these machines costs $10,000. Think of all the equipment/grains you could buy with that money? I could buy 4, 15 gallon fermenters, and still have thousands left for supplies. Even if it only cost $1000, I think I'd still rather invest in one, used 15 gallon fermenter.
Some would have said the same thing about espresso 15-20 years ago.
Now you can goto Walmart and buy a Keurig machine and make pretty amazing coffee in a desk sized machine.

Dont get me wrong i would never buy this, but i can see a market. Especially in craft breweries that are constantly trying to expand their lineup, being able to do quick and easy experiment batches in 3 hours while your off doing something else that you can then look at going full scale with could help a lot i would think?
superdave12 Likes This 
Old 10-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #14
jpalarchio
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphillips View Post
And what about the price? Lets say, hypothetically, that one of these machines costs $10,000. Think of all the equipment/grains you could buy with that money? I could buy 4, 15 gallon fermenters, and still have thousands left for supplies. Even if it only cost $1000, I think I'd still rather invest in one, used 15 gallon fermenter.
Except that the intro price is less than $1,500 and I would expect it to go down over time.

While homebrewing can be done with the smallest of budgets (think $30 Mr. Beer kits...), higher cost equipment seems to generally fall into the category of: function, "bling" and/or convenience. This product seems to span all three and that certainly comes at a cost.

Anyone could look at any of our homebrewing setups and surely find a way to achieve most of the same for less money. Could you ferment in three 5-gallon buckets as opposed to buying a 15-gallon stainless fermenter? Sure you could. But the purchase of that fermenter comes at a cost that covers both "bling" and convenience.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Onkel_Udo
Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think the comparison to a Kuerig is flawed in a couple of ways:

K-cups are instant gratification for something you do DAILY

The Pico Brew still requires additional equipment (regulator, ice bucket, etc) and is NOT finished in 3 hours because and ice bath is the only shilling method.

Not saying it won't find a market...just the comparison is very flawed. A crockpot would have been a more apt comparison.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #16
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 101

It is the all grain Mr. Beer......

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Old 10-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 84

As soon as I saw the article title I was reminded of this spoof.

Make your own beer with the computer - Microsoft Brew - with a head so big, you could float a mouse on it

Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #18
rvklein
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The fact that the device doesn't boil the wort (locks in at 208 ) is interesting. Supposedly no dms issues.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #19
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 583 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by sch21c View Post

Price doesn't seem that far out. System only does 2.5g batches.

...And removes the typical argument against small batches -- "If you're going to go through the trouble to brew, might as well do a full 5 gallon (or 10 gallon) batch)."
Oh thank God it eliminates arguments against small batches. So sick of the persecution!
Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #20
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Yeah it seems to shortcut some long held beliefs in brewing.
Boil (and allow the steam to escape) for DMS removal - The HBT Wiki states DMS boils at 210F so even at 208F you are not getting rid of it very efficiently.
Chill - they just breeze over chilling, "oh just through it in a bucket of ice". How about just doing no chill or sticking it in your fermentation fridge and get it down before pitching.
Eff of only 50-65% - surely they could get this up. Brutus 2.0's appartently get ~75%
Clean up & maintenance - what about taking the thing apart to clean out the element / pump. I have seen a few pictures on how nasty RIMS tubes get without be fully broken down for cleaning on HBT! I can see getting enough flowrate through the system for a real CIP process.

Except all that I like the concept of a simple small batch system, i think the excecution might have put a bit to much emphisis on form instead of function though