Topping up Concord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might start fermenting again... But that's a guess. I have no idea how much sorbate if any, or what other ferm stoppers might be in that juice.

It'll just restart fermentation. No problem at all, but if you top up at every racking with it, it'll never finish and never clear. I'd try topping up with some commercial cheap wine if it's too much to use water.

It wont clear if you add more pectic enzymn? Even if you top off and add more enzymn? Guess Ill be adding a bit of water then if it wont clear. Although Im having one of my first Shiraz its a cheaper "Barefoot brand"(Im pretty new to wine) one that I didnt like at first but its growing on me. It is pretty opaque until you tilt it when its low then you can only see clarity.Along with a reflective red hue.

Ive done the same thing,topping up a blueberry wine with more blueberry juice @ secondary- I know it will lower the gravity some but thats ok with me- I got 2 gallons out of what was intentenally a 1 gallon fruit-wine batch.

Not shure if these dark fruit wine batches Im making will be clear anyway. Although they kinda seem to be clearing naturally already after a few weeks only during secondary. It appears almost clear in the racking hose during racking,just not in the jug-but still the color shure is gorgeous.

Pectic Enzyme is not a clarifier. Clarifiers are Super-Kleer KC, Gelatin finings, Isinglass...

Back